Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

PC hangs during voice chat

Hi,

I use a PIII - 500MHz/128RAM PC with Win XP installed on it. My system drive (C:\ ) has a decent 500MB free space. I have my voice chat applications installed on other drives . Every time I start to voice chat (Y!M, GTalk, Skype) my PC hangs after about 2 minutes. With GTalk it happens in about 1 minute.

I have no clue why this happens, the system just gets frozen and I cannot even move my mouse. The situation continues for I dont know how long, but I waited for about an hour once and I always have to reboot my machine.

FYI, I am doing voice chat on this PC for the first time

Can any one please help me?

Thanks in advance
Sril

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC hangs during voice chat
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC hangs during voice chat
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My immediate thoughts

In reply to: PC hangs during voice chat

My immediate thoughts are that your computer specifications are very low for WIndows XP.

You have a 500 MHz processor, and 128MB RAM. Also you have 500MB free space on the C drive.

500 MHz processor is very slow nowadays. Intel processors on the market today are running at 3.0 GHz, 6 times faster than your processor.

Although Microsoft say that only 64MB or RAM is needed, many people find that at least 512MB of RAM is required, and many have even more. I have 2GB of RAM.

Your free space on the C drive is minimal. With today's XP programs taking up 200-300MB routinely, a lot more space is needed. Also, because XP needs more physical RAM, it also uses more Virtual RAM, (or the paging file). A minimum of 1? times physical RAM.

You may be able to set the paging file to run off other drives where you may have more space, but I don't see that will help as your processor and physical RAM will be needed to manage it, and the processor is very slow, making access times slow as well.

Sorry. But I think that those things may be the main cause of your problem.

Mark

Collapse -
PC hangs during voice chat

In reply to: My immediate thoughts

Thnx Mark
Firstly, I can free up the memory, but cannot do much with the processing speed. It is a buddy-gifted computer which, I, in any case am not supposed to re-configure the HW (speed/RAM) for some reasons.

But considering my vir mem paging file being on other drives and I have no other applications running on my PC during voice chat, I think the processing power/mem can be sufficient.

You are talking about XP & PC configuration. My other applications work perfect on the PC (I even play light version of some games). Why not voice chat in that case? Is that heavy? Is there any other light version of voice chat available?

Is there anything as a workaround that you can suggest.

Regards
Sril

Collapse -
What sound card?

You didn't tell enough details but in those days we found that we couldn't have the sound card next to the video card. Even then we found some machines would work proper if we moved the card to another slot.

You are also in the era that the machines CPU HEATSINK could be clogged. How long has it been since it was cleaned and a dab of heatsink compound put in it's proper place?

The reason I ask is that it seems many think PCs are zero maintenance items.

Bob

Collapse -
CPU Heatsink / sound card - CPU stuck during voice chat

In reply to: What sound card?

Hi,

Apologies for not being able to reply before. I have recently got a new sound card because my earlier one wasnt working. I can check by changing it to a different slot.

Also, though I do not consider my PC zero maintenance machine, I have no idea Sad where or how to clean the heat sink. Could you throw some light?

One more interesting observation is that the voice message works okay. The other day I left a 20 minutes (2 slots, GTalk does not allow more than 10 min voice message) VM, without a glitch. Does this give any hints?

ta
Sril

Collapse -
Links.

In reply to: CPU Heatsink / sound card - CPU stuck during voice chat

Collapse -
So a P3 you say?

How long has it been since you cleaned it's heatsinks and checked those cooling fans?

With so little RAM it's also possible that other gremlins are going to pop in. Outside of the age and cleaning issue it's possible the sound/other drivers are buggy, outdated or there is a support issue in that the drivers were never fixed.

Many are nonplused that old machines tend to be unloved.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.