HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

PC GAMING

by refhat / November 26, 2009 10:35 PM PST

Hello,
I want to buy a new pc for gaming, what is the most important hardware that i have to get for best experience.

Thanks,
PT

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC GAMING
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC GAMING
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You hit the nail on the head.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2009 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: PC GAMING

Ready?

-> "The entire package."

You've heard of Moore's Law but do you remember Gene Amdahl. He understood that all parts must be in balance since what good would a fast this or that be if the next part couldn't keep up.

But dispensing with that, I still like Tom's Hardware's "Best Video Card for the Money" lists that are updated almost every month. Many gamers have cards slower than what's on the second from the bottom on that list.
Bob

Collapse -
pc gaming
by jeff_windows_team / November 27, 2009 3:12 PM PST

A good resource for learning what to look for when shopping for PC's- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pc-scout/laptop-speed-facts.aspx

While I would not consider myself a heavy PC gamer, I have seen plenty of people who bought low-end "gaming pcs" and have been pretty upset with the results. My advice is to do your research and don't try to go cheap.

Collapse -
PC GAMING
by refhat / November 28, 2009 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: pc gaming

is this good enough?

CPU: AMD Phenom?II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/
HyperTransport Technology [+100]

HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H AM3 DDR3 785 Chipset 1666+/1333/1066 Sideport 128MB with PCIe slot SATA RAID MB w/GbLAN [+13]

MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Dual Channel Memory [+135] (Corsair or Major Brand)

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 5970 PCI-E 16X 1GB DDR5 Video Card [DirectX 11 Support] [+863] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)

Collapse -
Well
by CMN240967 / November 28, 2009 8:01 AM PST

Thats not bad, cant really see a bottle neck..

The only thing I think is a bit bad is the RAM, instead you might think about getting 3x2GB DDR3, Tri seems to run better.. And for gaming, you wont use that 2GB you will loose

Collapse -
more than enough
by axyosh / January 9, 2010 2:24 AM PST

Thats more than enough.
I can play games normally on a
Core2Quad Q8200 2.33Ghz
3Gb of RAM
Nvidea GeForce 9500GT 512mb
1 Terabyte Seagate SATA HardDisk
Gigabyte EP45-UD3 motherboard

Collapse -
Just make sure you add to that parts list a quality PSU.
by VAPCMD / January 9, 2010 4:35 AM PST

All the high end peripherals aren't worth anything if you don't have a strong, reliable PSU to drive that system.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Have a look
by coastie65 / January 9, 2010 8:38 AM PST

Hi I don't know what your budget is but have a look :

http://www.gateway.com/systems/series/529598057.php

I have the FX6800-01e and I know someone who after I got mine upstaged me and got the FX6802-03. I got mine on the 3rd of Dec and have since upgraded to 6 Gb of DDR3 1600 MHz memory and a Corsair TX850w PSU. These things are whisper quiet too.

Collapse -
RE.Have a look
by refhat / January 9, 2010 8:51 AM PST
In reply to: Have a look

Thanks for your help but i already ordered from alienware. what do you think of this system.

Overclocked Intel Core i7 920 (3.2GHz, 8MB Cache)
9GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3
Dual ATI Radeon HD 5870, 2GB GDDR5
640GB - SATA-II 3Gb/s 7200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD
Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW)
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit
Cosmic Black, Alienware Aurora Chassis, 875W PSU
4 Year Limited Warranty
all these for $2,618.09 with tax and next day shipping.

Thanks,
PT

Collapse -
Great specs
by coastie65 / January 9, 2010 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: RE.Have a look

That thing has some good specs, but is a bit pricey for me. I have the Core i7 920 in here but not OCed, as well as a Seagate 750Gb SATA II /300 Hdd. it came with 3 Gb of DDR3 1066 Memory, But I have since upgraded to 6 Gb of Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz ram. It also only had a 500w PSU and I changed it to a Corsair TX850w PSU. I am a Moderator on another forum and there have been some not so good posts about Alienware, primarily with Tech service, but that is pretty much the case with all of them anyway these days. I have the same OS and I am happy about that as I have been hearing way too much about trouble with trying to play games on Win7. Oh, yeah this one came with a single ati HD4850 Card with an open PCIe x16 2.0 slot. Don't know if it is SLI certified or not. I know it will run Cross Fire though. That is a beast for sure and at some point, you can upgrade to 1600MHz ram if you want, but it is fine as is. Enjoy that thing. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.