Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

PC freezes while booting windows OR CD HELP

i just dual booted vista and windows XP, the computer originally had windows XP but even that was a little messed up so i planed to restore to the factor setting. i did a full system recovery on XP and then installed VISTA on my other partition, when vista was all ready( it was working fine) i went to XP and i was installing internet explorer 7 and a blue screen appeared saying windows is shutting down to prevent the damage or some thing like that. so was restarted the computer after then i couldnt get on XP so i went to vista too see wat the problem was, i couldn't get into VISTA too it was just freezing at the Microsoft screen so i decided to recover XP and reinstall Vista but i couldnt do any of it because the computer just freezes after like 30 seconds.
does any one have any idea wat is going on on computer?? can some one help me

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC freezes while booting windows OR CD HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC freezes while booting windows OR CD HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like a hardware issue.

In reply to: PC freezes while booting windows OR CD HELP

Like heat or failing parts. The reload of the OS is typical when people have a failing PC.

Collapse -
is there anything i can do??

In reply to: Sounds like a hardware issue.

is there any thing i can do??

Collapse -
?

In reply to: is there anything i can do??

any particular hardware problem??

Collapse -
So far, little.

In reply to: is there anything i can do??

Your post is void of machine details so all I can write is generalities.

Collapse -
what do u need??

In reply to: So far, little.

tell me wat do u need i will try to give u as much info/video as possible

it is Gateway GT5082 media center Pc
2gb ram
250 gb hdd
windows XP media center
AMD A64X

wat else do u need??

Collapse -
little more

In reply to: what do u need??

i totally forgot abt this
when i select the boot from cd option it would load the cd/dvd i could see some thing loading on the screen and the dvd drive would also make some noise (normal noise ) but then all of a sudden every thing stops
NO more Noise and the PC is frozen

Collapse -
Try it with less ram.

In reply to: little more

If 2 sticks, one. If there are USB devices plugged in (you didn't tell) then unplug them.

Collapse -
Hdd or motherboard

In reply to: Try it with less ram.

I tried it. It did not work too
what do u think is the problem in here the hdd or the motherboard??

Collapse -
When I work this

In reply to: Hdd or motherboard

I reduce what is in the machine till it works as it should with just that many parts. I've skipped many PC repair tips since we knew nothing about the PC and its history.

If you have a spare hard disk you can pull yours, set that aside and try to install on the new drive. This is one of my methods to give me clues as to where the issue is.
Bob

Collapse -
:[

In reply to: When I work this

i do bot have a working 3.5 in hdd so what i tried to do is that i replaced the hdd with the other computers hdd and i tried to restore it and it worked completely fine, i can boot into windows and every thing works fine

so i am guessing it is a motherboard problem. can some one plz guide me to where the problem is. like is it the battery that died or the power supply

LITTLE HISTORY
before this computer i had a computer which had a problem it kept on turning off(not shutting down but turning off) i could never figure out the problem so i bought this computer, now i have figured out that the problem was with the power supply, i replaced it and every thing works fine.

so getting back to the new computer, with in like 6 months the monitor that came with it had a problem it kept on turning off in like few sec . so i bought a new monitor and again in few months the same thing happing to it, so i went in and bought another new monitor and again in few months the same problem. i was really mad
my dad (he's a engineer+builder)said it was some kind of a power problem so i moved the new computer in my room and i also bought a new monitor, it worked fine for like 2 months and now this freezing problem

Collapse -
(NT) So you have the cover off?

In reply to: :[

Collapse -
yes i do

In reply to: So you have the cover off?

right now yes the computer cover is off the computer but i do put it back when i not doing anything with the computer like night time

why? so u think it is a over heating issue??

Collapse -
Not anymore.

In reply to: yes i do

You could try a big fan pointed at the machine or refresh the CPU heatsink just to be sure. So far there is no smoking gun.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!