Computer Help forum

General discussion

Pc Freezes / Sometimes a Blue Screen

Hello guys,

I have a problem with my pc, some information that could help to determine the problem:

I bought my pc 2,5 years ago, I chose the parts and the company built the pc and sent it to me.
I regualary download movies etc, so I have formatted my pc 4-5 times because of virusses/malware during those 2,5 years.

In the past few months, I could notice that the pc sometimes 'lagged' when rendering or loading a game. From time to time, about 2 times a week to sometimes a few times a day, my pc gave me a blue screen with information about a memory crash dump and shutted down instantly.

now,
I rendered a 22gb file in after effects and when I try to copy the file or save it with another probram to compress it, my pc freezes. EVERY TIME.
I can also notice that now, 1 week after a reformat, the pc has already slowed down.

I thought the problem was my SSD so I formatted the pc yesterday and installed windows on my 1tb hard disk, but still he freezes when copying the file and the pc keeps 'lagging'.

Do you guys need a certain log or something? please let me know because I need the pc to edit movies for school.

Thanks in advance,
Jelle

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pc Freezes / Sometimes a Blue Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pc Freezes / Sometimes a Blue Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try the usual?

In reply to: Pc Freezes / Sometimes a Blue Screen

I'll keep this short. Canned air and replace of all heat sink compounds.

Collapse -
More specific

In reply to: Did you try the usual?

I would be more inclined to have a look at core temp and see if your cpu temps are rocketing at the time.
Dismantling your pc and redoing the heatsink paste is not the usual behaviour. If you suspect overheating then yes.
It could equally be, faulty memory, dodgy psu, drivers or hard drive.

unfortunately unless you try to identify the issue by using software or basic fault finding you could be chasing the ghost forever.

do you notice the fans spin up excessively or is it a cpu or gpu intensive operation that starts the freezing?

I have never in 20 years of pc fault finding just redone all the paste, narrow down the problem and get to the route of the cause.

you have mem test, seatools, core temp and other things available to aid you in your quest. Taking it apart and applying thermal paste and using an air can are both valid ways of overcoming overheating issues.

I guess you dont have a dirty pc though right lol

Collapse -
I'd do the work first.

In reply to: More specific

The age is there along with symptoms. I've seen owners go down in flames trying to avoid a few minutes work.
Bob

Collapse -
not the temperatures

In reply to: I'd do the work first.

It's not because of high temperatures. I just cleaned him and the temperatures don't exceed 60°.
The computer works perfectly fine except sometimes a blue screen.
And now but from the moment I move the files, the pc freezes. should it be the file that's corrupted?

Collapse -
Which is exactly what I run into.

In reply to: not the temperatures

Techs that trot out temps and have not done the work. You may have some virus/trojan, etc. but for a few minutes work you can remove one of the usual. Your choice.
Bob

Collapse -
tools

In reply to: Which is exactly what I run into.

Techs that trot out temps and have not done the work. You may have some virus/trojan, etc. but for a few minutes work you can remove one of the usual. Your choice.
Bob

explain this bob.

temperatures are useful for diagnosing faults, if a cpu is out of its tolerance the it will throttle and impact performance.

removing one of the usual is just waffle, this is not fault finding........this is generic rubbish.

I joined this forum for help on a tv, all I stumble upon is poor advice.

This could be linked to a bad hard drive, poor psu, bad memory or bad drivers........... all you want to do is get him with an air can and repaste everything.

I thought forums shared experience. I expected with a bigger site....... people would have some.

Collapse -
Useful but can miss a common cause.

In reply to: tools

Since our office charges by the hour we could rack up bigger bills or ignore the past lessons here. As to the throttle statement that only applies to some but not all CPUs. And with the recent news about GPUs you want to clear that up along the way.

I'd love it if that measurement worked all that time.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.