Desktops forum

General discussion

PC freezes at sign on screen

by Gemini40 / September 28, 2010 2:35 AM PDT

On a Dell vostro 200 desktop computer that is less than two years old, the O/S [Windows XP Home] boots up to the sign on screen but at this time both the mouse and keyboard are inoperative. Both the mouse and keyboard are USB devices. This model pc does not have PS2 connections. Neither mouse nor keyboard will work when booting up in SAFE MODE either. Suspect corruption to critical file due to infestation of virus. I am unable to determine specific files needing scrutiny. I am able to boot the system up in the Recovery Console mode. I also was able to inert a different hard drive and install the same O/S successfully. I then returned the defective O/S drive to the PC and was able to scan it for viruses. Found multiple viruses and successfully removed. Removing the new drive and returning the original hard drive to the PC, I still get freezing at sign on screen. The desire is to enable the original hard drive capable of booting up due to applications on that specific drive not available on second drive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC freezes at sign on screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC freezes at sign on screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
USB ports
by drksvant / September 28, 2010 3:01 AM PDT

try connecting your USB devices: mouse and keyboard at the back of your computer (the USB port built in with the motherboard) not the USB ports that are extended and housed in you casing. If the USB port on the motherboard works, then that means the connection of the extension USB ports that are located on your casing may have been loose or disconnected. If it still doesn't work then it's either your mouse and keyboard is deffective or your motherboard needs replacement.
To be able to take care of your PC components, you must understand them well. Here is a link that you may find helpful:

http://www.motherboardsata.com/

Collapse -
USB Ports
by Gemini40 / September 28, 2010 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: USB ports

Thanks for responding to my post. Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I replaced the original hard drive with an identical one [same manufacturer, same size, same model] and I installed the same O/S. everything worked. When I removed the new drive and replaced the old drive, the problem shows up. There is nothing wrong with the motherboard, USB ports, mouse or keyboard. The problem exists within the O/S for the original hard drive. I do not want to reinstall the O/S to the original drive because I will then loose critical files. I need to be able to find the problem with the original drive's O/S and repair withiut having to reformat it.

Collapse -
Sadly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2010 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: USB Ports

That's called an advanced Windows repair. If we are lucky to catch it soon enough we can use System Restore. If we let it go we know we can try the usuals like "XP REPAIR INSTALL" as well as installing the drivers for the machine in the CORRECT ORDER. I find many still can't write down the right order.

Since I clone the OS to another drive I can test this on the copy without endangering the original.
Bob

PS. For a price, Dell or Microsoft can provide more support about this than you may find on forums.

Collapse -
Checkout...
by Willy / September 30, 2010 11:46 PM PDT

You should run the virus scanner again in safe mode with networking option. That way, you're able to access CD/USB drives with pgms., of course update the scanner with the latest. Next, if you haven't already, reboot after that. if it works, great if not, do you still have "restore feature-ON? In many cases, if you tried the restore feature to working date and any malware comes back, disable restore feature(will delete restore points) to remove the "rehatching area of malware", very common. Repeat the scan process and then reboot. If you can enter the OS, use the SFC command from run, otherwise you're stuck in trying a OS repair from the OS recovery(install) discs. You may had multiple problems and get stuck resolving more than meets the eye, so it gets time involved. If you like, remove old HD and try recovering critical data on another system if malware free. If successful, then reformat old HD for re-use.

IMHO, you have no easy answer.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Dell Vostro help
by wb2001 / October 16, 2010 6:22 AM PDT

Go to DELL,and download the manual. Look on Pg 180 on how to remove the password. That might help, as you said it was stopping on "the sign on screen". It's a simple jumper, but you need to follow the procedure.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.