Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

PC Freezes

by fnerraw / September 3, 2005 11:41 PM PDT

Occasionally my Windows XP pro SP2 PC freezes. When this happens the display shows a shadow of whatever is on the screen. My question is is there a way to make Windows generate a log file that may show what application or service is causing the freez?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Freezes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Freezes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Event information at...
by Papa Echo / September 4, 2005 12:04 AM PDT
In reply to: PC Freezes

...Control Panel >Administrator Tools >Event Viewer.

Collapse -
Thanks but...
by fnerraw / September 4, 2005 12:53 PM PDT

Thanks but the event info doesn't show the application that causes the freeze. I guess the PC freezes before it can write to the log.

Collapse -
What happens when you
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 5, 2005 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks but...

click CTRL + ALT + DEL?

What programs show up in the Task Manager's Applications tab when this happens?

Mark

Collapse -
Event Log
by Paul Roantree / September 5, 2005 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: What happens when you
Collapse -
No can do
by fnerraw / September 5, 2005 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: What happens when you

When it freezes alt-ctrl-del doesn't work either

Collapse -
PC Freezing
by Sande / September 5, 2005 5:33 PM PDT
In reply to: No can do

I have been having the same problem for about the last two weeks. Today it froze at least 10 times, twice I was able to Ctrl, Alt & Delete and it said the issue was a IBIS Toolbar and to uninstall it.

I went to add/remove but it wasn't there, it suggested to run Spybot and Adware and I did. It didn't show in either of those. I ran HijackThis and it didn't show there either.

A least 10 times when it has frozen. Either whatever website I am on just disappears or if I have something in the taskbar..it just disappears. I lost 8 documents that contained coding for my website and now they are lost.

Any idea's what would be causing this.

I have the same computer as the original poster. I was on a chat with Dell tonight but there tools were being upgraded and they couldn't address the issue.

Collapse -
Then your next step
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 5, 2005 7:32 PM PDT
In reply to: No can do

is Event Viewer as Paul suggests.

Goto Start > Run, type in "eventvwr.msc", (without the quotes), and look under both System and Application for any errors.

Highlight the error, right click, select Properties for more information on each error.

Mark

Collapse -
action...reaction
by linkit / September 5, 2005 6:16 PM PDT
In reply to: PC Freezes

Do you recall if this happens when you are running a particular program or perform a particular operation, such as copy and paste from the Internet?

Does it occur when you access a peripheral (printer, scanner, certain keys on keyboard)?

Collapse -
Freezing screen
by Sande / September 6, 2005 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: action...reaction

No....it doesn't seem to matter what I am doing.

I just ran the suggested test and went thru the event log. Not much showed in the System on one thing STOPzilla failed.

But the other part of the test had tons of Warning and errors. Most were repeating the same issues which could be the problem.

The one with the most errors was Paint Shop Pro which I had recently installed. I included that here....

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1004
Date: 8/30/2005
Time: 11:34:50 AM
User: MUZIKFIENDZ\Sandra
Computer: MUZIKFIENDZ
Description:
Detection of product '{F843C6A3-224D-4615-94F8-3C461BD9AEA0}', feature 'PaintShopPro', component '{E46B662B-CC16-46AE-8536-DAC1B730A51E}' failed. The resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jasc\Paint Shop Pro 9\Installer\CacheFolder' does not exist.

I got a few warning from Windows saying the IBIS Toolbar had caused a issue and to remove the program but I went to ad/remove and it wasn't there, it's a brower hijacker, did a spybot and adware run and it didn't show there. I have a current HijackThis but not sure what to take out or not.

I was on the phone with Dell last night they gave me a list of things to do assuming that your comfortable doing them or know how.

What is bothering me is that when it freezes I can shut down using ctrl,alt delete...it just sits there and sit there and then suddent it will shut down and but it shuts everything down not just what cause the screen to freeze. It even shuts down my document.

Now I have here of issues with PSP. I haven't used the program yet though.

Could it be a corrupted IE copy?

Would it be worth downloading another brower's and see if the issue goes on. If so...which one would you suggest. I've heard alot about Firefox but that it has some draw backs.

Collapse -
Spyware. My advice?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2005 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Freezing screen

You can't leave it on a machine. Find a HJT forum and wait for help.

Bob

Collapse -
HJT
by Sande / September 7, 2005 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Freezing screen

This error that I posted isn't a HJT post, this is what I got when I did a event check.

I know and understand HJT...I have a friend whose an expert in this and I only ever take his advice.

Collapse -
Sorry to see you missed it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2005 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: HJT

My reference to HJT Forums is for you to get the best reading of a HIJACKTHIS log file. We don't do that in these forums for the posted reasons.

But I know we could cure it in just a few clicks with HJT. If you feel this is not your cure, what can I write?

Bob

Collapse -
finally....
by Sande / September 15, 2005 5:02 AM PDT

My computer is fixed. After days of one issue after another...finally.

I am behind a firewall, have McAfee anti virus, run Adware and Spybot twice a day. A few spyware's here and there but clean them out. Never any high level ones.

So I posted my HJT to my friends forum...yikes! is what he said.

If anyone is experienced freeezing, browser hijacking, changes in default settings. Mine was going from tiny font to huge fonts...and more.

Ran a fresh HJT and posted it to the forum. Keep a copy of the run in it's own folder.

Ran Adware and Spybot.

Downloaded a trail version of ewido. That ran for two hours while it check everything...I think it checked every single letter on my hard drive. When complete it found a altnet infection of 118 files. This program is ran in safe mode.

Clean the infection. Post a copy of the run into Notepad in it's own folder.

Reboot and go back to regular mode and run HJT again.

Go back to the forum and post the ewido and HJT readings.

Everytime you post you get the same technician. Depending on time zones..you might have to wait. A few changes and some things to delete. Changed my settings back to default which the virus had changed. Fix the font changing.

And my computer is running super fast, not one screen freeze all day...no popups and no font changing.

Also make sure you are behind a firewall..not just a eternal firewall.

Hope these might help anybody that is having issues.

If anyone needs the addy to the forum..email me.

ladymuzette@verizon.net

Collapse -
Thanks for posting the results.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2005 11:12 AM PDT
In reply to: finally....

This spyware stuff is really sneaky. I wish we had the people to do that sort of work but all I can do is to suggest it when it starts to sound like some pest is in the brew.

-> May I make one suggestion?

Please try to use Firefox or Mozilla to sidestep the bullets.

Bob

Collapse -
Bullets
by Sande / September 16, 2005 5:53 AM PDT

AFter all was fixed....I armed the computer with Firefox.

I was amazed at how much quicker everything load. Takes some time to get use to...but I am really like the features that I experienced so far.

I ran a Adware and Spybot this morning as always, after using Firefox for one day, it's the first day that I had a 100% clean readout.

No one spyware or malware was picked up.

I'll use IE only when necessary and after all is complete in the making of Firefox..will never us it again.

Collapse -
IE
by stewart6 / September 16, 2005 8:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Bullets

HI Raven. Don't try to dump IE. It doesn't go quietly. Also there are some things you will want to use that are only accessable through IE . Cheers Stewart

Collapse -
IE
by Sande / September 20, 2005 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: IE

Yes...IE will stay as I have gotten some great advice here and from friends, not to get rid of IE altogether.

But for the most part I am trying to use Firefox but it's hard to teach a old dog new treats.

Haven't heard much about Netscape anymore...worse or better than IE. I use to use it all the time when I got my first computer.

Thanks again and cheers.

Collapse -
Netscape
by stewart6 / September 21, 2005 3:46 PM PDT
In reply to: IE

Hi Raven. Firefox is much the same as Netscape. As I understand it, firefox was assembled by the netscape group. Cheers Stewart

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!