Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC fans turning off, overheating

by catfeesh / June 15, 2009 12:02 AM PDT

I have my PC hooked up to the TV for infrequent movie watching.
The other night I heard the fans blowing especially hard.

The power supply, CPU, and case fan are apparently turning off a few minutes after startup. They then cycle on for a few seconds, and off for a few minutes.

The video card fan, and the motherboard fan run constantly.

The fan settings in the BIOS look good - except for the temperature which steadily increases.

System specs:

Windows XP pro
AMD Athlon 6200? 32 bit, + Thermaltake fan
Gigabyte GA-K8VT80 Pro motherboard
older (4-5 yrs) Geforce video card
2GB RAM
Antec Sonata Case, Antec True380S power supply
Vantec Stealth fan in case

Thanks for your help,
-catfeesh

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC fans turning off, overheating
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC fans turning off, overheating
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds Normal... Cleaned Out the Tower Lately?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 15, 2009 3:01 AM PDT

The first task is to remove the case cover and use compressed air to blow dust from around the processor, heatsink, power supply, and all vents and fans.

Cycling on and off of such fans is fairly normal when such use occurs. But usually, they cycle off after the temps are brought back to the normal range. If the heat is remaining high, then steps need to be taken to remedy the situation.. How do you know it's overheating? What are the temps indicated?

The power supply might be having a tough time, especially with only 380 watts.. You might think about taking it up a notch to around 500 watts.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Strange
by catfeesh / June 15, 2009 1:34 PM PDT

Thanks for the advice, It may need a cleaning.
The BIOS temp reading was 94 degrees and climbing. I hastily shut down the computer at that point, it smelled a little burny.

I've had the case open before, and don't ever remember seeing any of the fans cycling down.

Collapse -
(NT) Heatsink Thermal Paste May Be Necessary Also
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Strange

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!