Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC dosen?t boot and sounds like a vacuumcleaner!!!

by MicaelSwayze / February 1, 2009 8:54 PM PST

My computer doesn?t boot!

The power is on and all fans are running, the usb?s and the cd/dvds seems ok but nothing more! The computer doesn?t boot and the sound when windows is loading is missing...

It appears to be no contact between the screen and the computer just no signal and check cable. There no signal to my wireless keyboard either.

The computer is 3,5 years old but all the drivers is up to date.

Any solutions?

Best regards Micael

HP d4090, XP Home with intel i915 chipset
Pentium 4 560, 3,6 ghz and 2 gb ram.
Graphic card: Ati Radeon x850xt
Screen: hp tft1740

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC dosen?t boot and sounds like a vacuumcleaner!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC dosen?t boot and sounds like a vacuumcleaner!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please tell more.
by Kees Bakker / February 1, 2009 8:56 PM PST

- What do you mean with "the usb's and cd's seem OK"? How can you see that if the machine doesn't boot.
- Booting is a multi-step process. It starts with the BIOS that lists a lot of data, then it says something like "loading Windows", then the Windows logo comes up and after a while you'll see the welcome screen. So it helps to tell what exactly happens and where exactly is goes wrong.

Kees

Collapse -
More info
by MicaelSwayze / February 1, 2009 9:20 PM PST
In reply to: Please tell more.

When i start the computer windows (or bios) doesn?t load. The computer is getting power and all fans are working but there is just a black screen and nothing more.

When i?m connecting a mouse (with wire) to a usb the mouse is "lighting up". I can open and close the cd/dvds and it seems to be in some kind of working process.

Collapse -
Time for repair.
by Kees Bakker / February 1, 2009 9:22 PM PST
In reply to: More info

It could be the video card only (but then you would at least hear the machine continuing to boot, and that doesn't seem the case). So then the likely diagnosis is some hardware error on the motherboard.

Kees

Collapse -
Minimize abit
by Willy / February 1, 2009 10:40 PM PST

Remove all ext. devices(unplug) and if USB kybd./mouse, return to a PS/2 type for now. Just because fans and CD drive run, just means the 12V is present, there are more voltages to acct. for and be amps available too, not weak wattage. if the system seems to run better with less attached, then a weak PSU(power supply). If it still doesn't work and no abnormal beep code(listen) then either an int. device is hanging the system up or failed component. A system 3.5yrs. old should exhibit some issues by now, is the insides clean? Have you retried to refreshed the cpu heat compound(it dries out) and/or check all fans inside as well. Leave side cover off, does it work? If a video card, is its fan working if present? Check all that...

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I am more interested in the "sounds like a vacuumcleaner ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 1, 2009 11:27 PM PST

portion of your subject title.

Describe that a little more fully and tell us if you have or have not tried to localize this sound to any specific piece of hardware.

Vacuume cleaners range from tiny ones used with electronics that buzz to larger ones used by street crews for leaf pickup that "roar" - where does the sound you hear fit?

Just guessing, it might be a fan gone bad on your graphics card or a bad hard drive but if you are not even getting a boot screen it sounds much more like the video card or the motherboard.

Someone else suggested disconnecting things and starting from the bare necessities (power supply, motherboard, graphics and monitor) to see at which point the addition of anything (such as RAM or drives) causes the black screen. Try it and if you get the black screen with nothing but minimum powered up then try replacing first video card then second the motherboard.

All this does pre-suppose that you have actually tried your monitor on another working computer to ensure it isn't a monitor problem - have you?

Collapse -
More info...
by MicaelSwayze / February 2, 2009 9:06 PM PST

* I have tried to take away the battery on the motherboard and waited for an hour and then retried to start but with no result.

* I have NOT tried the monitor with an different computer.

* I have cleaned the "inside" of the computer carefully.

* The "vacuumcleaner"-sound is most likely from the fans going on full speed.

* I have tried to run the computer with the side of the tower open with no noticeably effect.

Collapse -
Did you...
by Willy / February 3, 2009 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: More info...

Remove the USB devices, etc. from ext. ports? In fact, you can disconnect everything inside and out and see if you get a preliminary display at all(boot-up one) though it may hang or error out. Plus, are there any beeps during this time?

Otherwise, the mtrbd. or psu have gone bad. These are the 1st items to consider. I offered you to disconnect everything as a device may hang the system BUT importantly if you can get some display. What are your results?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Hmm Ram
by pyrrhus55 / February 4, 2009 8:31 AM PST

"The power is on and all fans are running, the usb?s and the cd/dvds seems ok but nothing more! The computer doesn?t boot and the sound when windows is loading is missing..." With no CMOS post at all, but fans running , winking lights doing their thing. I highly suspect your Ram may need to be reseated or replaced. If it is ram. What would worry me is cause of possible failure. Do you possibly have excessive dust in the case? Heat is a possible factor but you stated all the fans are working properly. If you have a friend with compatible ram, try a couple of his sticks and see if it boots.

Collapse -
battery
by pyrrhus55 / February 4, 2009 8:39 AM PST

" I have tried to take away the battery on the motherboard and waited for an hour and then retried to start but with no result." Did you test the battery before reinstalling? Their relatively cheap, given age of machine, a new one would not hurt.

Collapse -
battery may be problem...
by dew010101 / February 27, 2009 11:46 AM PST
In reply to: battery

I have a Emachines T6216 with the same boot problem --- fans going full speed and drive lights blinking for a few seconds then nothing (except fans going full speed). Does not matter if rebooting from power off or a restart.

Have been powering off and immediately back on to get it to boot. Push power again very quickly after power off to get it to boot. This may work to get the original poster's PC to boot till a new battery is tried. (I have not tried a new battery on mine yet. If this is the problem, a battery is easier to replace than a power supply.)

Once mine does boot everything is OK. Just leave it running most of the time (used off and on all day an part of the night most days anyway).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?