Windows Vista forum

General discussion

PC Dies In The Middle Of Virus Scan?

by ProblemLiterate / June 5, 2008 2:15 PM PDT

Alright, I did a virus scan this morning and AVG found a virus in Download(er)Z.lob. AVG deleted it and stuff. I downloaded a game and played it for a good couple of minutes and it started to have trouble. Well, I quit the game and tried to get on the Internet. Well, when I did, it said it could not open. [Say what?] I tried other programs like Microsoft Word. It said it couldn't open. [There goes my story writing.] I tried my trusty ole' System Restore, it couldn't open. [Nooooo!] It said a file was missing from its library. [Uh oh..] Well, I got to open Windows Live Messanger [Woo Hoo!], then.. whenever I did a voice clip and Messanger froze up, and exited. I logged back into it and tried the voice clip again, it did the same thing. Then, I ran a virus scan by AVG and after a couple of files, my computer went [Bloop] and shut itself off. I tried to turn it back on.. it seemed to boot up, but the screeen stayed black and the button stayed green. I've tried the USB, F2, Esc, F12, and all other things in my manual. Please help ><. I have an Acer Aspire 5520- 5912.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Dies In The Middle Of Virus Scan?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Dies In The Middle Of Virus Scan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Many laptops do not like 24x7 operation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 11:40 PM PDT

Did you at least put it on a laptop cooling pad?

Also Z.lob can do untold damage. Maybe you should try a total system restoration and think over how Z.lob got onto the machine. Sometimes I find it on machines that the owner uses P2P apps and downloads games.
Bob

Collapse -
Many laptops do not like 24/7 operation
by ProblemLiterate / June 7, 2008 10:16 AM PDT

No, I don't have a cooling pad for my laptop, so yeah, something probably did burn or melt inside it. And I think Z.lob got on my laptop because I downloaded the game I was talking about >< And about the System Restoation, I tried it and it said some file was missing from its library. I think it was a msv, or mvs. something, I can't quite remember. My dad's got it all ready to go in the box to carry it off to Acer.

Collapse -
Next time, a cooling pad for long operations.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2008 10:36 AM PDT

And if you download IFFY material, the OS usually suffers.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!