HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

PC continuously loops reboot after Windows XP update

by Rodney9396 / November 20, 2010 5:36 AM PST

Hey everybody, I'm brand new to this forum so if i have broken any of the rules with making this discussion, I apologize in advance. Yesterday, I was prompted by the "Windows Update" service that I had a bunch of updates that needed to be made. I would say that there were about 8 or 9 different services in the update that needed to be upgraded. I went along with the procedure, and every time one service in the list was updated, I would be asked to restart now or later. For every one of them, I clicked "restart now" This happened all the way until the last service was updated, which seemed to start the problem. I have no idea what happened after that, but when it came time for the computer to restart, it failed! A black screen would come up saying, "2005...American Megatrends" for a short 3-5 seconds, and then the windows xp logo would come up as if it were booting up as usual. However, every time the windows screen is loaded, the whole process would restart and loop continuously. I have no idea what happened and I really hope I did not lose any data or would have to in the process of fixing my problem. I would try to put up some screenshots of the problem or a video from my phone if possible. Thank you for your attention and help!

-Rodney Hamilton

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC continuously loops reboot after Windows XP update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC continuously loops reboot after Windows XP update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try XP's Safe Mode
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 20, 2010 9:09 PM PST

Since normal boot up isn't working, see if the system will boot up into XP's Safe Mode.

Turn the system on and during the BIOS posts messages, (the "2005 American Megatrends messages), but before the XP logo displays, start pressing the F8 key gently once a second. After a while you should see a list of options with "Safe Mode" at the top. If that is highlighted, press the Enter key on the keyboard. If it is not highlighted, use the keyboard arrow keys to highlight it.

This is XP's Safe Mode, a diagnostic mode that can sometimes help to sort out problems. The display is larger and in basic resolution because only default drivers are installed, and there is no Desktop background image.

If Windows manages to load in this mode, you can then try to carry out a System Restore to return the system to where it was before the updates. Or you can uninstall the problem update.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Restarting error
by Rodney9396 / November 21, 2010 6:28 AM PST
In reply to: Try XP's Safe Mode

Hey thank you so much for your help! I did exactly what you told me to do but everytime i do so it restarts again! I have no idea what is going on and i really hope i didnt lose my documents! Thank you so much dor your help and please continue to help me out through my situation, your attention is very much appreciated!

- Rodney

Collapse -
That's not good.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 21, 2010 7:39 PM PST
In reply to: Restarting error

When this happens your options are limited.

Back in Safe Mode options, see if the option "Last known good configuration" works. You will need to log in as an Administrator.

If that fails, back to Safe Mode options again, and select the "Safe mode with a command prompt". Then follow the instructions in the Microsoft link below to attempt a System Restore back to when the system worked properly;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

If that fails then we are looking at damage limitation, and this involves trying to get your personal files off the hard drive, (using a Ubuntu Live CD. Google will help you there), and then re-installing XP with your XP Setup CDs and driver CD.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Thank You
by Rodney9396 / November 24, 2010 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: That's not good.

Hey Mark, I apologize for taking so long to respond. With my own being messed up, it was tough finding another way to get back on here but i finally have. Thank you so much for your help, I haven't tried the system restore procedure that you sent me yet, but i will do so soon. I googled my problem and it seems as if I am not the only one having this problem.

Here is a link to one with a solution that I don not seem to understand (I'm not so much of a computer wizard) but if you can help me out with that, I would greatly appreciate it! Happy

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/433908-solved-stop-0x00000071.html

Also here are some screens of my problem for a better perspective:

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=bcedd69e4c&view=att&th=12c7f82d2970170a&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=bcedd69e4c&view=att&th=12c7f827cdefe8db&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=bcedd69e4c&view=att&th=12c7f81df19e764d&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

Collapse -
Those Google links
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 24, 2010 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You

Apparently I have to 'login' to Google to see those images, but I'm not a member. Sorry.

When we want to post images we often use free image hosting resources like ImageShack, Flickr or Photobucket to upload them to, then check the full sized image is OK, then post the URL for that in a post here.

About the other link to the techguy forum, that is about a specific BSOD, (Blue Screen of Death), error, for a STOP Error code STOP 0x00000071. Are you saying that you get a blue screen with that STOP error?

Mark

Collapse -
Error corrections
by Rodney9396 / November 24, 2010 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: Those Google links
Collapse -
In such cases ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 24, 2010 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: Error corrections
Collapse -
I agree with Kees
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 24, 2010 7:44 PM PST
In reply to: Error corrections

but I noticed from one of your screenshots that the BIOS was detecting a number of USB devices.

If these are easily removal devices, eg external USB hard drives, card readers, etc, I would remove them from all USB ports then boot up again.

The blue screen you receive mentions hardware and software. The test is to remove/disconnect hardware if possible then try again. If the system then boots up properly, that indicates either a problem with an external device or a problem with a USB port. If that fails to resolve the problem, then you at least have eliminated external devices.

Mark

Collapse -
thank you for all the help!
by Rodney9396 / November 29, 2010 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: I agree with Kees

Hey guys, thanks for all the help you have been giving me! I also apologize for taking so long to reply, I went on a trip for thanksgiving and it's tough finding another computer to reply on haha. I have been reading your suggestions and I would definitely give them a shot tonight! I would let you know how things are going along and ask for any more help if needed. Thanks for going out of your way to help me out with this problem, I really appreciate it guys!

Collapse -
Good luck
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 29, 2010 7:43 PM PST

and let us know how you get on.

Mark

Collapse -
PC continuosly loops reboot after Windows XP update
by zredhot / November 26, 2010 12:38 AM PST

You can also tap the F8 KEY at start up and choose not to continually restart windows xp and this should stop the looping. If it is hardware that is malfunctioning, at Start up, tap F2 and run a Diagnostics test. This will tell you what hardware is malfunctioning. Good Luck.

Collapse -
thanks for your help!
by Rodney9396 / November 29, 2010 11:21 AM PST

(quoted from last post) Hey guys, thanks for all the help you have been giving me! I also apologize for taking so long to reply, I went on a trip for thanksgiving and it's tough finding another computer to reply on haha. I have been reading your suggestions and I would definitely give them a shot tonight! I would let you know how things are going along and ask for any more help if needed. Thanks for going out of your way to help me out with this problem, I really appreciate it guys!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.