HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Pc-cillin

by skippyd333 / September 17, 2004 8:47 PM PDT

you can avoid all these problems by buying what you mention as housecall. It is really Trend micro's Pc-cillin. Check the p2p networks. which security suite do you not see on the list to download for free? I can get any antivirus program for free up to date! Except one. Pc-cillin! Thats what I call real security. I deal with viruses everyday including spyware and parisites. Pc-cillin has never failed me. Skip

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pc-cillin
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pc-cillin
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: har har har
by jonah jones / September 17, 2004 9:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Pc-cillin

out of curiousity i checked, i found 74 Pc-Cillin ranging in size from 93M down to 14M....

Collapse -
Re: har har har
by skippyd333 / September 18, 2004 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: har har har

try one and see if you can use it har har har!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i did, i could, i uninstalled it...
by jonah jones / September 18, 2004 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: har har har
Collapse -
Re: (NT) i did, i could, i uninstalled it...
by skippyd333 / September 18, 2004 5:01 AM PDT

yeah right!

Collapse -
Re: yeah right!..... just a small FYI
by jonah jones / September 18, 2004 8:28 PM PDT

i don't know who you were, or where you were before 16 Sept 2004 skippy, so a little background info for you...

to the best of my knowledge, about 99.9% of the people who post here (the V&SA forum) don't b/s, don't boast and usually, if they say "i did that it worked/didn't work" you can take it as the truth...

Collapse -
Re: yeah right!..... just a small FYI
by skippyd333 / September 19, 2004 10:17 AM PDT

I am new to this forum as a member. I have been reading it for a long time. I really like to here what Proffitt has to say. The guy that said he did it, was that .1% I know how pc-cillin works and if you give it to a p2p network, you will lose it yourself. There is no way around it. I'm not trying to boast and I don't want to argue. I will be more carefull with my approach to different topics. I wish you well. Skip

Collapse -
(ears burning...)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2004 10:45 AM PDT

My latop came with PC-Cillin and I used it until the renewal came due. It worked just like it should, but now I installed... Free AVG since it works too.

Since I've yet to find any AV catch everything, I do a scan with Housecall and the usual tools when time permits. So far, not a pest since I don't use IE much and that laptop doesn't do email by by the web.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: (ears burning...)
by skippyd333 / September 19, 2004 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: (ears burning...)

I'm glad it works for you Bob. Thanks for the input,

Collapse -
Re: (ears burning...)
by skippyd333 / September 20, 2004 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: (ears burning...)

That comments not worth responding to. This discussion is over for me.

Collapse -
Re: a 'slight' correction
by jonah jones / September 20, 2004 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: (ears burning...)

it was over when you ignored the 'polite way out' i offered and put me in that 'select group' of 0.1% ....

we all make mistakes sunshine, and you're no different to me or the next person who posts on a cnet help forum!...

have a good one...

Collapse -
Re: Pc-cillin
by Mark5019 / September 17, 2004 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Pc-cillin

and i work in the field allso and i use avg its free

when customers come it with the bloated norton and macafee there loaded with viri, so i slave there hard drives on shops puter and avg to the rescue.

house calls good but y pay when free works

Collapse -
by skippyd333 / September 18, 2004 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Pc-cillin

what else does average have for free? Just antivirus? Housecall is free, you buy Pc-cillin with a package of other protection. I could get average for free and use it. I challenge anyone to get pc-cillin for free and make it work with all the updates, 2003 or 2004. just the antivirus not the whole package.

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / September 18, 2004 4:22 AM PDT

why avg free does what i want with out the bloat you want pc good for you ill stick with what works for me and others have fun my friend

Collapse -
by skippyd333 / September 18, 2004 5:05 AM PDT

Bloat? my pc doesn't know bloat. you take care too friend.

Collapse -
Huh?
by CharleyO / September 18, 2004 2:12 PM PDT

AVG stands for average? I doubt Grisoft would agree with that.

When a program starts trying to be an everything program, it becomes bloatware. These programs typically become less & less effective at any one part the program tries to do. Norton & McAfee have become famous as in-effective bloatware. (Yes, I know many of you will disagree ... but please read on before killing me symbolically) Unfortunately, PC-cillin seems to be headed down this same path.

What many fail to understand is that the more such companies can claim there product is able to do for you, the more likely their sales and profit margin is to rise.

I do not know how long you have been around computers, programs, and security as your profile gives very little background ... but, you do not seem to know the terminology nor slang very well.

I do not mean the above as a put-down of you. So, stick around and learn a little more of what you speak of. No matter how good an anti-virus program is, none of them are prefect. They all will have some imperfection ... one will catch a virus that another may miss.

Remember this ... what one man can code and secure, another man can uncode and hack. It is only a matter of time.

My favorite anti-virus program has not even been mentioned in this set of posts. It all has to do with what works for you. If it's PC-cillin, then I am happy for you. If Norton or McAfee works best for someone else, then I am happy for them. The point is, that sooner or later, each will fail to protect someone's computer. It is only a matter of time.

Collapse -
Re: Huh?
by skippyd333 / September 19, 2004 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Huh?

I've been around pc's for quite awhile now. Build em, fix em, network em. I spend all my free time on them. Sometimes 24 hours without getting up. I'm not bragging. Its something that I really love. I agree about some antivirus programs becoming bloated and maybe pc-cillin will become that way. I wish all well with what works for them. As for terminology, I can do better. I just have a little too much hillbilly in me I geuss. I need to get used to the forums policy and proceedures and learn not to argue with people. This is new to me but, I know I can help people. I do all the time around here. So good luck to you my friend and I hope I see you around.

Collapse -
by CharleyO / September 19, 2004 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Huh?

Well said, Skippy ... and welcome to the forums! Happy

Collapse -
by skippyd333 / September 19, 2004 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Huh?

Thanks Charley! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.