Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

PC-cillin?

by Dragon / July 7, 2004 11:43 AM PDT

I ran Housecall, today. I had a couple of bugs that it couldnt clean. A little box popped up suggesting I try PC-cillin. I considered buying it, since my Viruscan is so far out of date, that I would have to buy it if I didnt try PC-cillin. Anyway, I found I could try PC-cillin without buying it, and it cleaned up my puter. I thought maybe running it with Sygate might be enough of a firewall. Any opinions? Buy or not?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC-cillin?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC-cillin?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Brian, McAfee VirusSCan? Which Version?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 8, 2004 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: PC-cillin?

If you prefer, maybe we can get you updated for free and show you how to continue that way.

RIGHT click on the McAfee shield in the lower right corner, choose "About". Let me know the Virus Scan version at the top of that little window, plus the "scan engine" number and the "virus definitions" number.

PC-Cillin isn't a bad antivirus and those who use it, seem to like it. It isn't one of the premier "detectors" in most of the tests and reviews, but it still should work fine. If you want something free, you might also consider AVG from Grisoft. It updates regularly and works well for most users.

Hope this helps and let us know.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Brian, McAfee VirusSCan? Which Version?
by Dragon / July 9, 2004 12:05 PM PDT

Would it change your answer if I made a switch to Firefox? Ive downloaded it and may keep it. Its my understanding that there isnt much of an attack on that browser. BTW, my viruscan is McAfee -- I think version 4.04 -- so its old. I did find this link:

http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/oilchange/ocmain.asp

I started the Software Update Finder. Its taking a long time for some reason, and I have a DSL line...OK, its found the stuff needed to download as I write this. In the meantime I found Silhouette and downloaded it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?