Resolved Question

PC Checkup Scan

I have a Dell 580 Inspiron,4GB Ram,500 GB HD,
18 months old.Just did a clean re-install 2 weeks ago.
Computer is working great.Now my question:
Dell PC Checkup Scan-Analyzing Hard Drive.
Random Seek Test.When I run Scan,all passes but,
Targeted Read Test says:Module Failed To Start.
The next in line,Targeted Read Test 2 passes.Before the clean install it always passed,even when I had the huge problems that made me have to do the clean install
to begin with.Any suggestions.?Thanks for considering.

Discussion is locked
chucker111 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: PC Checkup Scan
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: PC Checkup Scan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
PC Checkup Scan

Hi chucker111,

After the clean re-installation of operating system, one of the drivers needs to be updated. Refer to this link for Driver update .
Click on 'Download File'>> click "Download Now'>> Click 'Continue, Yes' on User Account control if prompted>>Click 'Continue' on the Application prompt>> Click 'OK' on Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to( Make a note of the folder location)>> Click 'Yes' on the next prompt for folder does not exist>> Click "OK' on All files were successfully unzipped. >> If the installation wizard does not appear, go to the folder location>> select the Setup file >> Right-click and select 'Run as Administrator">>Follow the installation wizard instructions. Reboot PC.

Try to run PC checkup again.
Let's also check the system functionality including the hard drive by running the Dell diagnostics.
1. Turn on (or restart) your computer.
2. When the Dell logo appears, press <F12> 2-3 times.
3. Press the down arrow key to highlight 'Diagnostics' and press Enter.
4. A blue screen will appear stating Pre-Boot System Assessment.
5. If you get any error code, make a note of it and continue testing.
6. When the test completes, reboot PC.
7. Please share the error codes if any.

If you want to run a specific test on the hard drive, you will need a Dell Drivers and utilities CD/DVD:
1. Turn on (or restart) your computer.
2. When the Dell logo appears, press <F12> 2-3 times.
3. Insert the Drivers and Utilities Disc in the computer.
4. From the list, choose IDE/CD ROM drive.
5. When the ''Press any key to boot from the CD or DVD' message appears, press Enter instantly. If you wait for more than 5 seconds, you will have to start again.
6. Select Boot from CD-ROM option from the CD boot menu.
7. Select 'Run the 32 Bit Dell Diagnostics' or 'Test system', press Enter.
8. Select the 'Custom Test'.Check the box 'Quick Tests only. Click + symbol next to Hard Drive. Click 'Confidence Test' and click 'Run Tests'.Similarly, click 'Device Self Test' and click 'Run Tests'.
9. Please share the error codes if any.

Hope this helps.
Do write back with the results.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

- Collapse -
No Go.

Downloaded driver.When I ran it,started to install,then stopped and said:This computer
does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software.I did the F12 Diagnostics.Everything passed.

- Collapse -
Answer
Link, comment.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/p/19464006/20173155.aspx#20173155

Bear in mind that a drive or machine if it's overheating will fail, then later pass such tests. There is nothing amiss with that. It's like I had you in the sauna for a hour then had you take some tests. You won't pass all the time.

-> Try this. Tell the forum how long it's been since you used the canned air on the vents.

More reading at http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-569818/getting-ready-to/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

Bob
- Collapse -
My next step.

Been about a year.Been cleaned once,6 mos. after I got it.Cleaned my last one once a year,and it lasted 9 years.
That's what I'll do next.Air can time.Thanks for the reminders,Bob.They DO help.Thanks,Manpreet_C.Gonna clean it,and see what's up then.I'll post again.Not overly concerned,but wanna take care of my investment.Thanks.

- Collapse -
No Go.

Was clean as a pin,but I aired it anyway.Tried the things Manpreet suggested,AGAIN.
Same result.The one driver that it calls urgent,will not install(reason above post).

- Collapse -
Sorry what error message?

I see the drive test failed but can't find the driver issue you write about now.

Let's bottom line this. If the drive fails, try a new drive cable, then a new drive.

If it's a driver issue, you would not be having a Windows install issue as drivers come later.
Bob

- Collapse -
Drivers Installation

Thank you for the response,

If the F12 diagnostics have passed, the hard drive is functioning properly. If the test fails to start in PC Checkup scan only, you can try to update the drivers from the manufacturer's website.
Here is the link for Drivers update.
Select f6flpy-x86_11.0.0.1032.zip file if the operating system version is 32-Bit.
Select f6flpy-x64_11.0.0.1032.zip file if the operating system version is 64-Bit.

As suggested by Bob correctly, cleaning the air vents will certainly help.

Hope this helps.
Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

- Collapse -
????

Clicked on your link,downloaded zip file.I unzip it,and there are several files.Don't know what to do with them,to install.Nothing I click on tells me anything.Sorry,but guess I'm ignorant about this particular situation.

- Collapse -
Please install this driver

Sorry for the delayed response.

Try this link for drivers update and select the file STOR_Win7_XP_11.0.0.1032_PV.exe.
1. Click Download>> select 'I accept the terms in the license agreement' and the file download will initiate.
2. Save the file to the Desktop>> right-click file and select 'Run as Administrator'>> click 'Yes' or 'Continue' to the User access control.
3. Click 'Install' button when the window shown in the image appears: Image
4. A few files will be extracted. Click 'Yes' or 'Continue' to User Access Control for Setup.exe
5. Click 'Next' on the prompt; refer to the image.
6. Click 'Yes' on the License Agreement window: Image
7. Click 'Next' on Setup progress. Refer to the image
8. Select 'Yes, I want to restart this computer now' and click Finish. Refer to the image.

Once the computer has finished rebooting, try to run PC Checkup.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

- Collapse -
sounds simple,but...

I go to link,download to desktop.It is a winzip file.When I unzip,there is a folder with 8 items in it.I click on the folder (with the 8 items inside the folder),and there is NO option to run as admin.Just says open.when I open the folder there are the 8 items.I click on each,and none say run as admin.I'm RIGHT clicking on all this,btw,(duh).Your pics make it look so simple,but when I right click on the folder there is no option to run as admin.Don't think I missed anything.Sorry to be so much trouble.I'm at a loss.I am NOT that computer illiterate,trust me.

- Collapse -
Answer
Next time
- Collapse -
"You should not run ComboFix unless you are specifically ask
- Collapse -
Thanks,but...

Thanks for tip Mr. Topper,but I have to agree w/Bob.ComboFix seems like a last resort.My comp. is running fine.It's just when I run PC Checkup Scan by Dell,the Targeted Read Test says:This part of scan didn't run,because module failed to start.May never harm,cause F12 Diagnostics all show FINE.Just trying to tie up a loose end.Thanks again to all.!!

- Collapse -
PC checkup scan

Thank you for the response.

The folder should have these files listed: Image
In the folder, look for the 'setup' file with 'Application' type and '447KB' size.
Double-click it and this window should appear after which you can try the installation: Image

Moreover, if you use internet explorer to download the file, instead of saving the file, run it.
If you have WinZip application installed on the computer, try Winrar and check if it shows the WinRAR self-extracting archive window.

If possible, could you please post some images of the 8 files listed in the folder?

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

- Collapse -
diff. files

Downloaded winrar 64.when I unzip,files are totally different than yours.Couldn't get a picture(one line at a time).My files are:F6 readme,iaahci,iaAHCI,iastor,iaStor,iaStor.sys,license,TXTSETUP.No matter what I click on,there is NO run as option.You can quit whenever you want.It's out of hand.I understand.Thanks for everything,especially your time.!!

- Collapse -
The file to be downloaded is STOR_Win7_XP_11.0.0.1032_PV.exe

Thank you for the response. I assure you that I will try to get this issue fixed as soon as possible.
You might have downloaded the previous zip file f6flpy-x86_11.0.0.1032.zip which has all the files(F6 readme,iaahci,iaAHCI,iastor,iaStor,iaStor.sys,license,TXTSETUP) listed in the zip folder.

The file that you need to download is STOR_Win7_XP_11.0.0.1032_PV.exe

Once you have downloaded STOR_Win7_XP_11.0.0.1032_PV.exe file, follow the aforementioned instructions and let me know if it works.

Please revert for any clarification

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

- Collapse -
Right back where I started

Got it all downloaded,clicked on run as,then the same thing happened,as in my 2nd post.Error comes up,and says:this computer does not meet the minimum requirements to install this software.I've come full circle.Beyond me,my friend.

- Collapse -
Try the BIOS update

Thank you for the response. I appreciate your co-operation.

Try to update the BIOS.
Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:
* No external devices such as printer, USB drive, SD card, DVD should be connected.
* All other programs should be closed and documents saved.
Click on 'Get Driver'>> click "Continue'>> Click 'Continue, Yes' on User Account control if prompted>>Click 'Continue' on the Application prompt>> Click 'OK' on Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to (Make a note of the folder location)>> Click 'Yes' on the next prompt for folder does not exist>> Click "OK' on All files were successfully unzipped. >> If the installation wizard does not appear, go to the folder location>> select the Setup file >> Right-click and select 'Run as Administrator">>Follow the installation wizard instructions. The computer will reboot after this update. Try the download again.

Meantime, please send an email to manpreet_chhabra@dell.com with the Service Tag, account information, contact number and the best time to contact you. Please do not share the Service tag in the open forum. I will check the warranty status, system configuration and help you accordingly.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

- Collapse -
THANKS.!!

Thank you Manpreet,for hanging in there,making sure you had thought of everything.
Your persistence and effort are uncomparable.You are one of a kind.
Thanks for your time and effort.Very much appreciated.!! Chuck.

CNET Forums