Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

PC Check Up 3-Beware

by choozeit / October 17, 2007 7:45 AM PDT

I purchased PC Check Up 3 because it was advertised on both CNet and ZDnet and thought I would be getting a product that worked. This program has a glitch in it and will not repair anything on a computer. I have contacted the company MicroSmarts three times already that it will not repair anything on my computer which has Windows XP on it.

They sent me another link to download the program from and said it was a new download site. Well guess what when I completed the process of deleting the original PC Check Up 3 and then downloaded the new version of it the program still does not work.

Of course I haven't heard from them since I wrote them demanding a refund from them for the purchase of this product I made online from them.

I think ZDNet and Cnet should check out more thoroughly the products from manufacturers they are suggesting that we buy to install on our computers. WE are the ones getting stuck buying software that does not work.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Check Up 3-Beware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Check Up 3-Beware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I learned the hard way also
by tallin / October 17, 2007 2:52 PM PDT
In reply to: PC Check Up 3-Beware

Hi chooziet,

I long since learned not to BUY online software programs like you have been caught with. I got caught when I started with my first computer (10 years ago) so never would I buy another thing online to do with my computers performance. Write to Lee Koo stating what has happened to you and see if he will take up your case. He is as follows:

Lee Koo
Manager, CNET community OR (replace "AT" with "@")

Have you got a "Department of Fair Trading" near where you live, if so contact them also.

Good luck,

kind regards,

Message was edited by: admin to edit email address so that spam harvester don't pick up on my email address Grin

Collapse -
Alternatively you can report it
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 17, 2007 8:06 PM PDT

in the CNET site forum.

I've been searching for PC Check Up 3 in both and on Google. I couldn't find it. Can you give more details, eg's web site that displays it and/or the developer's web site?

If you can, then add it to any post you make to Lee or in the forum noted above.

Collapse -
unable to uninstall MicroSmarts Free PC Checkup
by daisydear / June 29, 2009 3:18 AM PDT

FYI. I see 2 years from the first post that people are still unable to uninstall MicroSmarts Free PC Checkup. I did send an email to Brothersoft, where I obtained download.

Collapse -
Out of curiosity...
by John.Wilkinson / October 17, 2007 9:34 PM PDT

Where was the recommendation? (One of the weekly e-mails, under Cnet Reviews, on, a banner ad, etc) I couldn't find an editor's review of the product, or even a product page, so I wonder if it was a recommendation or purely an advertisement. The latter has been an issue now and then, with RadarSync coming to mind.

Collapse -
ads or no ads
by Amos16 / October 18, 2007 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Out of curiosity...

Oh yes, RadarSync does come to mind,as John remembers. It seems that if an old hand like myself made the mistake many others may too: taking a mention of any product on Cnet as a recommendation. (RadarSync even had the Cnet logo on its site). If you write to Lee Koo, let him know that the distinction between ads and editorial matter - such as reviews and evaluations - should be made much clearer. And good luck to you - Amos

Collapse -
PC Checkup 3
by kzoosteve / November 1, 2007 7:41 AM PDT

Loretta, sorry to haer about your difficulty with the software. Believe it or not I installed the free version and it actually a certain extent anyway. According to the PC Checkup software, it has cleaned roughly 450 errors so far. The free version will only clean 50 errors at a time so it's taken a while to get down to zero errors. I have to say though, that I haven't noticed any faster performance from my PC. The only noticeable difference is that a shortcut icon on my desktop was repaired. I wish you luck with getting your money back.

Collapse -
by pkstormy / February 16, 2008 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: PC Checkup 3

I downloaded another product called SpeedItUp by this so called company. Thank God I'm running Spyware Doctor and Norton Antivirus. Installing the SpeedItUp product flagged more spyware and registry problems than any other product I've ever installed in my 20+ years of working with computers. Unfortunately I read the reviews on SpeedItUp after I installed the program. Of course I quickly uninstalled it without running anything. Companies that make products like this should be taken out to the pasture and hanged by the neck until dead, dead, dead (or at least they're in a lot of pain)!!

Someone should put sugar in their car's gas tank and see how they like it!

Collapse -
Cannot undo PC Checkup3
by mercybabe / February 8, 2009 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: Scam

Would like to unstall it but there seems to be a reason why it wont and I cannot get all of it out of the system

Collapse -
Do not install this product on your computer
by eturnium / March 4, 2009 11:44 PM PST

I too was lulled into trying this product on my computer. It takes actions that you cannot control. In my case it erased my browsing history, so when I restarted FireFox, it did not remember any of the open tabs I had saved. My browsing history saves me many times when I need to return to pages that I have visited briefly but didn't consider important enough to bookmark. Or sometimes if I must shut down FireFox I can Save & Quit so that it comes back up with my current browsing tabs open.

I was able to uninstall PC CheckUp using Revo uninstaller. Revo is free and after the regular uninstall goes into the registry and various folders that were set up by the program and allows you to selectively delete them. Although if you have already used the uninstall that comes with PC CheckUp, Revo may not be able to find all of the remnants that poor uninstallers leave behind. You may have to re-install PC CheckUp and then as Revo to uninstall it.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?