Computer Newbies forum

Question

PC Cannot configure security updates

by ludsyred / May 20, 2012 7:48 AM PDT

When I get notification of my Windows automatic updates, I always install them with no problems. I keep current on everything they send me. On May 8th, I got a notification of security updates for Ms Office and MS .NET Framework but when I tried to install them it failed. Also, I am unable to install IE 9. I received a message that IE 9 was successfully downloaded, but then I get a message that my pc configures step 1 and 2, but fails at 3. I don't know what any of this means, let alone how to fix it. I've googled everything I can to figure it out but can't find anything. Also, contacted many Window and MS forums to no avail. The error code is 80070641 and also 641 if that means anything to anyone.

Thanks for any help you can give me...I am lost!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Cannot configure security updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Cannot configure security updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There no click to fix for that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2012 8:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
PC Cannot Configure Security Updates by ludsyred Part 2....
by ludsyred / May 27, 2012 3:34 AM PDT

Bob,

I'm not knowledgeable enough to fault anyone let alone MSFT. Also, I do not know what MSFT even is....sorry. Also, I do not understand your response re: malware, registry cleaners and security suites. I can tell you that I have had Norton 360 on my pc for a couple of years and before that, Norton SystemsWorks and have always kept it current. I have never had a problem with Malware and don't run registry cleaners myself - unless that is something Norton is programmed to do.

As for my problem, I followed the suggestions sep-by-step for Checking the Window Installer Service. I received this message:

System Error 1060 has occurred

The specified service does not exist as an installed service

Does that help in giving more info as to why I'm having these problems? I am even unable to upgrade/install (?) IE 9. I currently am using IE 8, Vista Home Premium and Microsoft 2007. Thanks for any help y'all can give me.

Collapse -
Error 1060

Bob will get to that one.

Quote: "Before you fault MSFT, I've run into this after malware, registry cleaners and security suites."

Bob said that.

Norton 360 is a security suite, or did you miss that? Bob can likely help you there.

Collapse -
PC Cannot Configure Security Updates by Ludsyred Part 3.....
by ludsyred / May 27, 2012 9:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Error 1060

I am so thoroughly confused now. I sought help on this site because it was called PC Newbies. So far, each response has been a statement that has confounded me more and more. I'm really not able to figure out how to fix the problem or go about fixing the problem. I get it that you didn't like SystemWorks, I do not use that anymore. I do have the Norton 360, but that has been in use for a few years, and I've been able to download and install all my updates since then, except for this one time. Are you telling me I should uninstall Norton 360?

I'm sorry I'm not getting it. Is there anyway you could specifically tell me in "dummy" terms what to do to make things right?

Collapse -
Answer
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2012 3:40 PM PDT
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1138835052 is the usual end. I don't have enough clues EXCEPT for SystemWorks. It's been many years where I reported a fatal bug that Symantec decided not to fix. So I decided to move that title to "poison, and if you use it, you live with the results."

It falls into the broad category of registry cleaners that break things and since we can't see what they broke, the result is that we reload the OS and hope the owner learns to stop doing that.
Bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?