Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC BANG

i had a new pc today just needed a cd drive and hard drive put that in was wrkin fine then i decided 2 connect my pci sound card but couldnt get drivers to work tidy so i gave up shut it down and went to take it out and as i was doing that i dropped the pc only about a cm of the stand and it went pop and eletric tripped tryed pc again it did the same so then i pulled the pc out and tryed again this time i saw sparks coming from where the power lead was i know the leads fine cause tryed it on old pc and it didnt spark does anyone know what could be wrong with it and how to fix it please

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC BANG
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC BANG
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"i dropped the pc" = Now we get to repair the PC.

In reply to: PC BANG

Collapse -
Test or replace

In reply to: PC BANG

A bit of bad luck, it seems. I wouldn't trust anything that for a simple cm fall would compromise the system, well do you really trust what's left to play with? You need a test bed and/or several key parts to swap around, to reduce the system and go from there. I wouldn't allow using the original psu again, replace it. Remove all parts and inspect&check the innards to see what is obvious damage and possible test elsewhere. You got a real dead system, not an iffy one.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: Test or replace

thanks for help ive looked on google for help and checked computer for any loose connections but theres nufin also theres now no power atall so if just ordered a new psu and ill see if that works

Collapse -
Be careful

In reply to: thanks

There's less than a 50/50 chance just putting the new psu in will work. Remember when the psu if that's the problem went, it could have taken something else with it. That's why you reduce the system. If you leave a bad part in, and then add new psu it may work, once then "poof" be gone as the bad part stresses it out or takes it down as well. So thread slowly and review any system discovery restart.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.