Mac OS forum

General discussion

PB DVD stopped burning

by OccamMD / May 24, 2005 9:26 PM PDT

After burning about 20 DVD's of an iMovie project, the drive will only burn one or two and then say it can't burn. I thought it might be a SW issue, but then I tried to do a backup using the .mac backup SW. The file was 10.4GB so it spanned 3 disks, but as soon as it got ready to copy it said it couldn't burn.

I'd bought a new pack of Maxell 8X DVD-R, could the new package of DVD's be the problem? Some of them work. Should I get some other brand and try them, I've always used the Maxell.

Also, I was wondering if there was a DVD cleaning kit they sold, maybe the laser is getting defocused due to dust or something.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ray

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PB DVD stopped burning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PB DVD stopped burning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PB DVD
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 24, 2005 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: PB DVD stopped burning

Is it under warranty or Apple Care?

P

Collapse -
Yes
by OccamMD / May 24, 2005 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: PB DVD

Yes, it is under AppleCare. Do you think I should send it in? Last time I went to the genius bar I got all sorts of back and forth about how they could make it work so it wasn't broken. I know enough about PC's and such to know that DVD burning requires a good memory pipe during the burn process, break it and you fail. The genius bar would burn one and say, well it works, can't send it in. Since it is somewhat intermittent it has been a problem.

Before I burn I shut down all unnecessary programs, view the acitvity monitor to see they are gone, place the computer/drive/screen in always ON, and shut off the airport so no internet connection or LAN conenctions. I do this to give the DVD as much priority as it needs.

I am, however, down to 8G on the hardrive, would that do it?

Collapse -
DVD Burner
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 24, 2005 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

I would take it/send it back to Apple for repair. Even though the problem is intermittant, it is still a problem that has not always been there. Things break.
Before going to the Genius bar, call Apple and report it as a fault. Insist on getting a Case Number. This number will establish a start date for the problem, something you do not have as trips to the Genius bar are not recorded. Follow all the suggestions offered by Tech Support and keep phoning back if the problem persists, quoting the original case number, until they get you to send it for service. The Service center has access to the case number and will record work done and problems found.
Problems that are reported before the end of the warranty, and have a case number to prove it, will still be dealt with under the warranty.

P

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks so much, I'll let ya know how it goes
by OccamMD / May 24, 2005 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: DVD Burner
Collapse -
I have the duster.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2005 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: PB DVD stopped burning

It's a good idea. But my idea is that something is getting too warm. If it does 20 this stops then 2 or 3 then stops but can do 2 or 3 later that's a typical heat sensitive component issue.

Of course I have to let owners reload the OS, search for software drivers, patches and more before they'll listen.

Bob

Collapse -
Maybe temp, but prob not
by OccamMD / May 24, 2005 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: I have the duster.

It does this whether it has been on for a long time or not, but I am hearing the fan now and I didn't used to so it sounds like something is going south on the fan as well.

It is not only after many burns, I didn;t mean to misleadm you, I just put that number 20 in to let you know it worked well for some time prior.

Collapse -
How long has it been since...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2005 10:57 PM PDT

You took that can of compressed air and dusted the internal heatsinks?

Again, it never ceases to amaze me that I have to wait till the owner reloads the OS, searches endless for patches and tries all manner of software until they buckle and give it up for an internal dusting and cleaning then the pass of the cd/dvd lens cleaner.

It seems to be a rite that must be followed.

Bob

Collapse -
OH!! You have it under AppleCare.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2005 10:58 PM PDT

Don't bother with it. Let them do the fix and cleaning.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks so much for the advice
by OccamMD / May 24, 2005 11:18 PM PDT

And i was ready to grab that can of air and go to it. One interesting thing about that. I did clean a DELL laptop out once and used comrpessed air. I sprayed the fan and the heatsinks and all. Spraying the fan without stopping the blade motion is a bad idea. It turned into a generator and had enough voltage to pop the fan driver.

Given that I design motor controllers I should have had more sense than this, but I wasn;t even considering it at the moment.

Collapse -
Experience is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2005 11:36 PM PDT

Directly proportional to the amount of hardware you blew up.

- author unknown

Fabulous advice. Here I am an embedded electronics designer and would have missed that one too. Spinning it a little shouldn't hurt, but with a fully charged air can I bet you could hit some 10K RPMs! That could do it...

Bob

Collapse -
embedded too
by OccamMD / May 24, 2005 11:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Experience is...

I design embedded systems as well, cool.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.