Question

Pay more for business WAP for home use.

I have a large home with very thick walls. Is it worth paying extra to buy a business grade WAP such as the Cisco Aironet 1041n over a consumer grade router such as the E4200? Any thoughts or suggestions on other routers?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Pay more for business WAP for home use.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Pay more for business WAP for home use.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Government regulated

It will more than likely make no difference. Almost all routers transmit at the legal maximum power. They all transmit and receive the data in exactly the same format.

Business equipment generally has features that would not be used by home users. Things like multiple SSID and vlan support and radius support etc. One feature related to power is the ability to dynamically REDUCE the power to allow load sharing of users between groups of AP.

The best solution to a house with thick wall is to use directional antenna. You concentrate the power in the direction of the walls. It is a trade off, you will then get less signal in other directions.

Generally the best solutions to coverage issues is to run multiple routers.

- Collapse -
Answer
Won't help.

WAPs and WIFI ROUTERS (which I can configure to be a WAP!) are already at the max power allowed.

I can only guess no one has shared this and the seller is more than willing to sell you anything without telling you this.

Why are the other solutions such as WIFI ROUTERS configured as WAPs and AC power line networking not an option?
Bob

CNET Forums