Desktops forum

General discussion

Pavilion 735n or Dimension 4600?

I am selling my laptop and getting a HP Pavilion 735n or a Dell Dimenion 4600. This will be used as my gaming/dvd player/music machine. Both are refurbished. The HP cost $599 w/o monitor and has Athlon XP 2600+, 512 MB of RAM, 80GB HDD, DVD+RW/CD-RW, CD-ROM and GeForce4 graphics card. The 4600 cost $494 w/o monitor and has Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz, 40 GB HDD, and DVD-ROM, CD-RW and GeForce4. If i bought the HP or Dell, i would buy a Dell monitor. Which is the better deal. Does DVD+RW play DVD's? Could you reccomend any other good gaming pc's for under $600 w/o monitor?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pavilion 735n or Dimension 4600?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pavilion 735n or Dimension 4600?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Pavilion 735n or Dimension 4600?

In reply to: Pavilion 735n or Dimension 4600?

Which Geforce4?

Look at http://www.tomshardware.com to see which CPU and GRAPHICS CARD comes out ahead.

As to the DVD recorder, it's a RIP-OFF. It's only and DVD+R/W without support for DVD-R and DVD-R/W and since I can buy such a drive for 79 bucks on sale, this is not a great item to have.

Yes, it will play DVD movies.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Pavilion 735n or Dimension 4600?

In reply to: Re:Pavilion 735n or Dimension 4600?

The GeForce MX for both.

Collapse -
Two strikes so far.

In reply to: Re:Re:Pavilion 735n or Dimension 4600?

The MX is a value card, the DVD is a single recordable format.

See if they can fix that?

Collapse -
Re:Two strikes so far.

In reply to: Two strikes so far.

The games i'm going to run are Need For Speed Underground which is supported with the graphics card, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 and Porsche Unleashed and the papers say that the DVD+RW is multi-format. It has a little box that says DVD-R to.

Collapse -
Multi-Format is great. But that video card will annoy gamers.

In reply to: Re:Two strikes so far.

Collapse -
Re:Multi-Format is great. But that video card will annoy gamers.

In reply to: Multi-Format is great. But that video card will annoy gamers.

I don't want to play graphic intensive games like Unreal Tournament 2003. I just play my Need For Speed games. I had no trouble playing Porsche Unleashed or Hot Pursuit 2 with my ATI Radeon 320M IGP on my laptop, its just that it wont play NFS Underground. The laptop is a HP Pavilion ze4427wm and the 64 MB of shared memory makes that computer too sluggish. My Compaq Presario 5BW-5000t takes half the time to load.

Collapse -
At least that video card can be changed.

In reply to: Re:Multi-Format is great. But that video card will annoy gamers.

The benchmarks ranked that card very low.

You could test your laptop to see how well it did on one of those benchmarks to see if you are moving up.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Pavilion 735n or Dimension 4600?

In reply to: Pavilion 735n or Dimension 4600?

My grandmother owns a 523n which is lower of the line and I love it. It is faster than my laptop which supposedly has better processor but it is too sluggish and won't run Need For Speed Underground.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.