Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Pasting to email

by johnblroberts / March 20, 2006 5:23 AM PST

I use BTYahoo email and having tried send an excel spreadsheet as an attachment to an organisation I they tell me they cannot open the attachment. Private receivers have no problem. I then attempted to copy and paste the document to the text of the email, again they say not able to open. I did test this by sending to myself and was able to open even though the document had not retained the formatting it was sent in being spread all over the page. There must be a way of including a document as part of an email so that it arrives in the same condition it leaves me. But what is it??
Mny thanks to anyone. If this subject has been covered in Computeractive please refer me to the issue number

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pasting to email
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pasting to email
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When you save
by PudgyOne / March 20, 2006 11:32 AM PST
In reply to: Pasting to email

When you save your Excel product, are you saving it as a .xsl product?

I had that problem at work and have to save them as .xls not .xlt

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
Pasting to email
by johnblroberts / March 20, 2006 4:00 PM PST
In reply to: When you save

Thanks for your reply. I had been saving as .xlr now having saved as xls got the attachment through as sent when sending to myself. I await confirmation that my business recipient receives and opens OK. I did find a help file in 'Works' on sending a Works in the body of an email using 'tools'then 'options' then 'general' tick 'text in message body' click 'OK' then 'send'. I then got the message to check my hard disc for space. There is plenty so I clicked on OK but nothing then happened. The promised 'choose profile' box did not appear. They provide a tip 'you may also send a document as the body of a message by opening your email program and then moving or copying the information you want into the message'. That gets me back to my original query!

Collapse -
Pasting to email
by johnblroberts / March 20, 2006 4:08 PM PST

Further to my message just sent, my recipient confirms can open document Ok. Very many thanks.
John R

Collapse -
Glad you reponded back
by PudgyOne / March 20, 2006 6:07 PM PST

Glad you responded back

You can copy and paste many things, however it may not look the same.

I think it's better to send it as an attachment when doing business using forms.

Hope this helps

Rick

Collapse -
Pasting
by johnblroberts / March 20, 2006 9:58 PM PST
In reply to: Glad you reponded back

thanks for your reply and helpful answer to my problem. Using.xls also saves me from unplugging broadband and plugging in telephone extension to use fax.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?