Mac OS forum

General discussion

passwords in new Mac

by hjh4 / July 11, 2005 3:50 AM PDT

I have a new Imac 20" G5 that I ordered through the university where I work. It was delivered to our departmental computer guy who started it up, updated it, and installed the academic licensed version of Office 2004. He inserted my name as user but didn't enter a password. I took the unit home and set it up (pretty easy for a terminally clueless person like myself).When I tried to install the university supported Eudora program via download, I was asked for my user name and password. When I opened the Accounts pane, it would only let me change my password which required a password. When I used the install disc to establish a password, it only showed the root user as an option, something I guess I shouldn't get involved with. I know I'm missing something simple. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks, Jay

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: passwords in new Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: passwords in new Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Passwords
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 11, 2005 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: passwords in new Mac

Did you try clicking in the password field and pressing Enter/Return? Thus entering the same password as the computer guy who set it up?
Take a look in the system preferences and see what account name you have in there. If your account is there, and it surely must be, then the Installer CD with the Reset Password option should show every account on the machine.
You can safely reset ALL the passwords on the system, including root, with the utility.
If all else fails, you can always start again, only this time, do it your self.
Good Luck

P

Collapse -
Re: passwords
by hjh4 / July 11, 2005 10:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Passwords

Thanks very much. Our computer guy says he didn't enter a password and my account name doesn't show in the installer disc although it does in System preferences. It has become moot, though, because I apparently got a bad hard drive and was sent another to replace it (which I did last night. Remarkably, at least to me, I went through the diagnostics with Apple on Saturday morning and the drive arrived sometime Monday. The packing slip shows the drive being shipped from someplace in California and I'm in upstate New York). So, I suppose I'll be starting from scratch anyway when I install the OS and other software. Not having done this before either: after I power up the computer, do I just insert the install disc and wait for what happens? Is it that easy? There are actually two discs. The second says it also has OS 9.2. I (think) I know that Apple doesn't install OS 9 anymore. Do I need to install it? As always, thanks for the help. Jay

Collapse -
New Drive
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 11, 2005 11:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: passwords

After you have installed the new drive, just insert the Install CD, it could be a DVD, and follow the instructions. This disk could actually be a Restore CD which will restore your machine to its original factory installed condition. From that point on, it will be as if you had just opened the box and plugged the machine in for the first time. Follow the instructions and all should be well
Give yourself a password. Happy The install and setup procedure is very simple.
Unless you are planning on obtaining, and installing, old software for your machine, I would not bother with OS 9.2
If the program for OS 9.2 is any good, there will already be an OS X replacement for it. You can always install it later, should the need arise. Meanwhile, save some HD space.
Sometimes Apple amazes me with the speed at which they can do things, your HD across country for example, and then at other times it seems as if they have no idea how to do the same thing. 7 days for a HD replacement, brand new machine, to a place have the distance away.
Oh well.
Good luck with the install

P

Collapse -
Re: Passwords
by hjh4 / July 12, 2005 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: New Drive

Thanks again. Hopefully, I did the hard drive replacement correctly. As the Apple tech said, it was pretty simple and the enclosed instructions were explicit as was the photo essay on the Apple website. But anything to do with something that complex looking scares me a little. At least I didn't drop it, lean on it, or drool on it. We'll see how it works. Once more, thanks. Jay

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.