Windows Vista forum

General discussion

password virus

by ange23299 / October 19, 2008 5:29 AM PDT

I have a virus that pops up and asks for password, will not load windows won't let me go to boot menu or bios. Is there a way this can be fixed?
thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: password virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: password virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: virus
by Kees Bakker / October 19, 2008 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: password virus

If you can't get into the BIOS something is VERY wrong (because not even the boot sector is being read before that point). But what would you want to do, once in the BIOS?
The boot menu, indeed, is part of Windows, so - in principle - could be taken over my a virus.

If you describe it correctly (but we don't know that, of course) I should erase the drive (using DBAN or KILLDISK) and do a clean install of Windows Vista on that (now very empty) hard disk.

But maybe somebody else has better ideas.

Kees

Collapse -
thank you
by ange23299 / October 19, 2008 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: virus

it is at least reading the cd rom drive but then it imediately pops up enter password. it will let me go to bios and boot menu but asks for password.

Collapse -
When exactly does it does for a password?
by Kees Bakker / October 19, 2008 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you

In what exact terms? How does the screen look?
What happens if you enter a wrong password?

The BIOS and the boot menu look like 2 quite different things to ask passwords for. Is it really exactly the same thing happening?

Kees

Collapse -
kees
by ange23299 / October 19, 2008 5:56 AM PDT

it is black screen with blue rectangle saying enter password. you can try it 3 times then shuts computer off. this computer never had a password for bios or even to windows. thanks for helping
ang

Collapse -
It seems someone put a password on the BIOS.
by Kees Bakker / October 19, 2008 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: kees

Find out how to remove it.

Kees

Collapse -
bios
by ange23299 / October 19, 2008 6:05 AM PDT

the same password screen pops up whenever i try to do anything even boot menu i just want format and restore

Collapse -
my computer is doing the same thing yours did whay back when
by mariaken / February 3, 2010 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: kees

do you remember how you got past the enter password sceen before it shut down after 3 tries?
hp XP laptop. Was it a virus?

Collapse -
reset PW

Look at Bob's post a few posts down. Sounds like you will have to reset your BIOS password.

Collapse -
How about telling the make and model machine?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 5:45 AM PDT

Some have a password reset. But your post is light.

Collapse -
password virus
by ange23299 / October 19, 2008 5:47 AM PDT

toshiba satellite vista

Collapse -
That's one of some hundred models.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 5:57 AM PDT

Please don't shortchange us and we'll try our best.

Collapse -
friends computer
by ange23299 / October 19, 2008 6:02 AM PDT

it is a friends computer it is satellite a135-s2386 i hope thats the info you need. i was just going to restore from disk but will not let me bypass password.

Collapse -
Frankly? Let them deal with this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: friends computer

"ReSetting Bios Password on Toshiba Satellite A135-S2386

1)Remove Laptop Battery

2)Take off Memory Cover(underneath - square cover, Sits in middle of laptop 1 retaining screw

3)Using two thumbs spread spring clips to outside and pull out RAM memory.

4)Remove clear vinyl label opposite RAM memory slots in upper left corner( laptop battery slot is on right, DVD drive is facing away from you)

5)Using a magnifying glass (unless you have perfect vision)in the upper left corner you will see JOPEN1 with a white silkscreen square next to it . Inside the square you will see what looks like the letter T over a U. Using a metal paper clip short the U to the Silver 1/4" post connecting the motherboard to the laptop case(this is your ground, it is located above what looks like a silkscreen outline of a chip)hold for 25 -30 seconds.

6) Place back your RAM memory, put in the laptop battery and test start laptop. you should see a selection of F1 or F2 for setup. Using the F2 gets you into the Bios menu where you reset the time and date. Then Tab over to the SECURITY setting tab and change your passwords. Now hit F10 key ,yes to save and your done!

Note: if your having trouble your most likely grounding the ground(that blob of solder about 1/8"dia on both ends of the "silkscreen chip outline""
-> http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=20338 and other places.

Resetting this password is not for the feint of heart and frankly it's best done by Toshiba.
Bob

Collapse -
thank you
by ange23299 / October 19, 2008 8:31 AM PDT

the password is not for the bios its actually whenever i want access anything it will not load windows even when i hit f12 so that i can restore this password screen comes up

Collapse -
How long have you been using PCs?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you

I reviewed your posts and by all indications this is a BIOS password. It's not a Windows password since by your own words, Windows won't load.
Bob

Collapse -
thanx
by ange23299 / October 19, 2008 10:31 AM PDT

ill try to reset it thank you

Collapse -
We're rooting for you!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: thanx

Tell us how it turns out.

Collapse -
worked
by ange23299 / October 19, 2008 12:15 PM PDT

this worked thank you so much for your help and time and not to forget patience.

Collapse -
Thank you for the report.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 12:25 PM PDT
In reply to: worked

Sometimes you have to stick to it until it gives in. Thanks again!

Collapse -
Resetting Toshiba BIOS Password
by amreshjain / February 13, 2011 3:53 AM PST

I have the exact same problem. The computer is a Toshiba Satellite A135-S2246. Do you know if these same instructions will apply?

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2011 3:56 AM PST

This is a very old discussion so if you feel like it, try them again.

Collapse -
Vista removal??
by dbatsch / November 8, 2008 12:01 PM PST

Purchased HP Pavillion, model #m9340f. Vista came with it. I have had nothing but trouble w/Vista. Can I eliminate Vista and download XP?

Collapse -
Call HP and ask for the XP install CDs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2008 10:49 PM PST
In reply to: Vista removal??

HP and other makers HEAR the screams and on some models give us the XP CDs and how to install.

But you must ask them, not me.
Bob

Collapse -
Tried this but can only get so far with your directions...
by S.Doan1911 / August 7, 2010 7:38 AM PDT

I have this exact same thing happening to my Toshiba right now; however I have the Toshiba Satellite A215-S6804. Your directions are to the "T" up until number 4 where I am supposed to remove a clear vinyl cover and look for JOPEN1. Under my RAM I had a black piece of plastic with stickers and bar codes on it. I removed that and looked to the upper left corner you will see JOPEN1 with a white silkscreen square next to it. I have nothing in that section on the exposed circuitry.

Have any more help/directions that might be able to help me??

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2010 11:53 PM PDT

This discussion is now years old and my instructions look to not apply to this machine.

If there is a BIOS PASSWORD issue, call Toshiba and ask for the reset procedure.
Bob

Collapse -
password virus
by OswaldoP / September 22, 2010 1:35 AM PDT

I have the same problem with the windows login password, I just can write it in safe mode. But I had discovered that is something related with the battery. If I boot using the power cord without battery I can write the windows password. where is the virus?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?