Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Password request on boot up

by Laraine61 / September 27, 2008 10:15 AM PDT

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 running Pentium 4 processor and 512 mbs memory with Windows XP Home installed.
I am not able to get the computer to go into boot options to try to roll it back or boot at last known good config. I cannot change the boot sequence to boot off the recovery disk to do a recovery. I am getting the "Enter Password" error message although there has never been a windows password installed. I am not able to type anything in at the cursor although I do have keyboard as I can do alt ctr del.
Please help!
Laraine

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Password request on boot up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Password request on boot up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Free tool to fix that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2008 11:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Password Error
by Laraine61 / October 1, 2008 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Free tool to fix that.

I am not able to get my computer to go into the set up or bios config to change boot sequence....any suggestions. None of the F keys are working.
Thanks for the help.
Laraine

Collapse -
Then fix that issue next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2008 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Password Error

That is, broken hardware needs fixing first.

Collapse -
Recovery
by Laraine61 / October 1, 2008 10:47 AM PDT

Thanks so much for the help, Robert.

I have gotten the information needed to try to save this computer...
I have not had the time to try the password reovery, the XP Reair kit or the 6 XP recovery disks just burnt. I have been researching the set up issue.
NTPW will be 1st, then the XP recovery. last but not least the 6 floppies to get it to recognize the drive for recovery.
Thanks 4 the help.
Laraine
I'll let you know how this comes out.

Collapse -
Password request on boot up/ BIOS password?
by billzhills / October 1, 2008 10:32 PM PDT

Your post reads as if the BIOS has been set to
require password on Boot.

If so the MB has a jumper to clear the BIOS
allowing normal boot.

Collapse -
Bios??
by Laraine61 / October 2, 2008 1:27 AM PDT

Thanks for the thought. I have not seen this message before in the 4 years that I have had this computer. I am assuming the jumper would be beside the bios chip on this computer, am I correct?
Thanks again.
Laraine

Collapse -
BIOS re-set
by billzhills / October 2, 2008 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Bios??

Pins are normally near the CMOS Battery or
silk screened on the MB is the location
and use.

Collapse -
bios re-set may or may not work!
by junkyrddawg / October 2, 2008 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: BIOS re-set

I had the exact same symptoms and tried the suggested motherboard method 3 times however,"request for password" has locked me out! Cannot get into os either but when able to i did not have control of computer since the virus actually caused scrolling through the menu tabs and no keyboard actions or arrow actions were operational ! This all occured after getting infected with "antivirus 2009" aka "virtumundo"which is a dwnld dropper type trojan. Tried malwarebytes,spybot s&d, maliscious software remover and whatever else,but nothing helped. Caught it before Olympics started while downloading MS "silverlight" program to watch olympics online!
this virus is a real headache not to mention a real P.I.T.A.!
hope re-set it works for you!

"Pins are normally near the CMOS Battery or
silk screened on the MB is the location
and use".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.