Computer Help forum

General discussion

PASSWORD RECOVERY MS MONEY 2004 TO 2006

by dacemac / August 19, 2005 12:01 AM PDT

I upgraded from MS Money 2004 to 2006. The new version takes the latest file backup (from 2004 program) and then wants the previous password (from 2004). My password from 2004 is not working, so for all purposes I have lost my entire Money database.
Microsoft will not help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

DaceMac

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PASSWORD RECOVERY MS MONEY 2004 TO 2006
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PASSWORD RECOVERY MS MONEY 2004 TO 2006
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MS Money's password...
by John.Wilkinson / August 19, 2005 2:16 AM PDT

Could you access the database using your password when MS Money 2004 was installed?

If so, I'd try:
* Restarting the computer and accessing the database again.
* Double check things like caps lock to make sure that the password is being entered correctly.
* Try uninstalling Money 2006 and reinstall Money 2004 to see if you can access the database then.

If not, or the above does not work, you can try using a password recovery program, such as Money Key. The program costs $45, but it's probably worth it to try to recover all of your financial data, especially if you don't have a backup (ie printout).

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
There must be a better way around the MS Money pw problem.
by brinybay / April 11, 2016 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: MS Money's password...

There must be a registry key entry or something that is causing problems MS Money. I installed the latest version (the Sunset Deluxe version) in my new computer (W10), but it brings up old account information that is incomplete, e.g. it only shows debits and not credits. On top of that, I still have the password problem when I try to restore a backup that's on a USB drive that asks for an old Windows Live pw that I've long since forgotten and there's no way to recover it. Why would a fresh installation of MS Money on a new, never used computer bring up any kind of entries at all? If anything, it should be a fresh slate, nothing there. If I could hack the password, I would, but there's no solutions that are acceptable, e.g. I won't pay $45 to resolve this since I can still use it on my wife's laptop or desktop w/o any problem, but it's a hassle to go back and forth like that. I also can't seem to find a stand-alone program that is acceptable. I don't trust programs that connect to my bank online. I never used that in MS Money and I won't start it now.

Collapse -
I don't know if this helps
by itsdigger / April 11, 2016 11:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
I don't know either because
by brinybay / April 11, 2016 1:20 PM PDT

I don't use IE, I use Chrome, plus I'm not getting an error message about IE6, Money just won't let me use current data due to a lost password. Money loads fine, but it uses old, partial data from somewhere.

Collapse -
Here's a thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2016 1:34 PM PDT

A few apps (by Microsoft) only work right when IE is the default browser. Look, I understand folk find that ultra annoying but I've learned to turn it back over to IE and get back in then change it after it's fixed.

Collapse -
Another one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2005 2:53 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!