Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Question

Password protection via htaccess leads to server error 500

Hello dear professionals,

I hope my question is here correctly arranged, otherwise please move and forgive the mods.

I have a web page that is completely password protected by htaccess because it is currently being co-ordinated with a small group of people and should not be accessible to the public yet.

Everything worked well until yesterday. But now one gets, if one enters the password at once a 500er server error. I have not changed anything on the .htaccess, nor on the htpasswd nor on their location or the directories they are in before the problem occurred, so I almost rule out a syntax error in the .htaccess or an incorrect path to htpasswd, since Yesterday no problem occurred. I looked at the .htaccess and the path again and can not discover anything wrong. If I remove the password protection, one comes to the page as normal and everything works.

The errorlog says the following:

April 27 10:50:14 https://phonty.com/ error.log: [Friday April 27 10:50:14 201Cool [error] [client 93.197.33. ***] (13) Permission denied : Could not open password file: xxx / htpasswd
("xxx" is of course a placeholder, because I did not want to put the path in public here)

The access rights for files and directories have not changed either, these are at 644 and 754 respectively.

Since I had not changed anything, I thought only in the direction of a change in the server settings. The server is not maintained by me, but by a data center. A call there but provided the information that nothing was changed on the servers.

Now I'm pretty baffled and hope that someone has an idea.

Thanks and greetings!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Password protection via htaccess leads to server error 500
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Password protection via htaccess leads to server error 500
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.