General discussion

Password Protect Folder

Hi,

This is the first time I have posted to this forum. Does anyone know how to password protect a folder, on my laptop? I am using Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Also is it possible to password protect a folder on my Western Digital external drive. I cant find the software that came with it, but it probably had some password protection. So can I password protect the external drive just using windows?

Thanks for your help!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Password Protect Folder
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Password Protect Folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You can make use of Windows XP's ...

file and folder permissions to secure your files and folders. This REQUIRES that you use passwords on each account and REQUIRES that only you have access to any account with Admin permissions.

Another option is shown in the following link but again it REQUIRES that only you have access to accounts with Admin permissions -
http://www.home-network-help.com/folder-private.html

- Collapse -
Folder Password

Thanks for your reply,

I tried Right Click --> Sharing and Security, but the option to
"Make this folder Private" is not available. I tried putting the folder in "My Documents" but it still didn't have the option.

Is there any software you can buy or download for free that will password protect folders. Also I still want to password protect folders on my external drive.

- Collapse -
Folder guard for windows mobile 6

I got a windows mobile (i-mate). I'd like to is it possible to protect my personnel folders with some password. Is there any soft ware that enables the same operation....???

- Collapse -
Password protection for laptop

Its possible to lock your folders with the software

Folder.Guard.Professional.7.92

CNET Forums