Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Password problems

by kjcssk / March 30, 2004 7:50 AM PST

Not sure if this belongs here or not, but here goes.

I'm running a home network. Just two computers hooked to a Dlink DI-624 router. I have had no problems with them and everythings has worked great. I have one computer upstairs (DAD) and one in the basement (KIDS). The DAD one is the one that was used to program the router (if this matters). Anyway, I have some folders shared on both computers (several partitions on both). Up until today, I could access the KIDS computer files from the one upstairs and vice-versa. Now, however, when I try to access the KIDS computer files from the upstairs computer it now asks for a password. The USER NAME to connect is dimmed and has KIDS\Guest selected. It allows a password, but I have never entered/configured one. When I am on the KIDS computer, I can still access the folders on the DAD computer with no problems.

Is there any way to reset the password or am I basically screwed?

I have only one account setup on each (administrator). I have checked the DAD computer and found a Guest login. I disabled that and still can not get access to the KIDS computer.

Thanks for any and all help.....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Password problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Password problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Password problems
by Michael Geist / March 30, 2004 8:26 AM PST
In reply to: Password problems
Collapse -
Re:Re:Password problems
by kjcssk / April 1, 2004 8:46 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Password problems

I've tried all the things listed at the link you gave. I have also tried to restore XP to an earlier state but, for some reason, I can not access restore points for the previous month. I am unable to select any month other than the current month. Although it is now April 2nd, when I tried to access any restore points in March, there were none. System restore has not been turned off on any disks. Could some sort of spyware/virus have deleted them and/or caused them to be somehow unaccessable?

Is there a way I can uninstall/delete the network and then reinstall it?

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2004 9:46 PM PST

But it's not clear what bug/pest is doing this. I've fielded more than a handful of posts about this in the NT/2000 Forum and there are exits.

1. Your Password Reset Disk
"
To create a password reset disk
The Forgotten Password Wizard lets you create a password reset disk that you can use to recover your user account and personalized computer settings if you forget your password.

The steps to perform this task differ depending on whether your computer is a member of a network domain or is part of a workgroup (or is a stand-alone computer).

My computer is on a domain

Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open the Windows Security dialog box.
Click Change Password.
Click Backup to open the Forgotten Password Wizard.
Click Next and then follow the instructions as they appear on the screen.
My computer is not on a domain

The steps to perform this task differ depending on the type of user account you have.

If you have a computer administrator account

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
Click your account name.
Under Related Tasks located on the left side of the window, click Prevent a forgotten password.
In the Forgotten Password Wizard, follow the instructions as they appear on the screen.
If you have a limited account

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
Under Related Tasks located on the left side of the window, click Prevent a forgotten password.
In the Forgotten Password Wizard, follow the instructions as they appear on the screen.
Notes

To open User Accounts, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click User Accounts.
For information about using the password reset disk, click Related Topics. "

2. http://www.lostpassword.com

3. Use your other admin account.

A discussion we sometimes pop to the top of this forum is the "I'm the only user" and the dangers of having just ONE account or just one Admin account. This not only afflicts XP owners, but Windows NT/2000 too. Read http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6127-0.html?forumID=9&threadID=17401&start=0 as it reveals how to save your files.

4. The long discussion about trying to reduce the accounts...

With XP, one user is DANGEROUS. It's a sure fire way to lock yourself out of simple repairs.

Here's a few dated discussions:

a. XP forgotten password.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=4099&start=0

Even though you didn't use one. People forget or a bug/pest/virus/worm changes the account you use. A spare Administrator account saves the day.

b. Another long discussion about accounts and such.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=3319&start=0

c. THIS IS THE ONE TO READ -> I'm the only user
http://reviews.cnet.com/5224-6142-0-1.html

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!