Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Password problem

by Howmu / October 5, 2006 9:29 AM PDT

I have been using my computer without a password for 2 years but recently a friend convinced me that I should be password protected. So I went into Control Panel > user settings and entered a password for myself. When I tried to log on the screen asked for my password and when I tried to type it in next to the flashing cursor,nothing was entered in the box and I could not access my XP Pro OS or anything else. I tried this several times with no success. I finally rebooted in safe mode and tried system restore to yesterday but still was asked for my password and it was not taken. I rebooted again in safe mode and this time went into Control panl> user settings and removed the password option. I can now access my computer normally.

My question is, did I do something wrong in setting my password (why wouldnt it type in?) and is there any way better that I should do this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Password problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Password problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That nothing entered is either ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2006 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Password problem

1. You need to click in that box.

2. Or I fear the OS is damaged in some way.

Item 2's list includes those cracked copies of XP Pro and keyboard loggers. I'd want to get to the bottom of this since keyboard loggers or trojans can cause unexpected wipeouts or financial loss.

Bob

Collapse -
I of course clicked .......
by Howmu / October 5, 2006 10:34 AM PDT

in the box and tried to enter my password, so the problem,as you see itis a trojan or keyword logger. I have pretty good security on my computer; Antivirus, spyware and malware protection, firewall , and I run them regularly. Also I have had no other problems. Are there any other possibilities that you can think of?

Collapse -
Name names.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2006 11:02 AM PDT

Some use a name product and don't look for second opinions.

Try EWIDO and Housecall scans. Anything more to add?

Bob

Collapse -
Probably more than I need
by Howmu / October 5, 2006 11:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Name names.

I use Ewido, CC Cleaner, CW Shredder, AVG, Adaware, Spybot, and Spyware blaster is on my hard drive. I have housecall but haven't used it in a while. I will give that a runthru tonight.

Collapse -
While housecall is a good idea...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2006 12:07 PM PDT

Since you use Ewido it's likely to not find anything new.

A more complete story about the OS (who installed), if there are any modifications and especially if it's some cracked OS. It would be a shame to expend effort and then for the cracked OS to be found out.

Any clues would be helpful since what's left on my list are just root kits (hint, look up BLACKLIGHT ROOTKIT REVEALER) and cracked OSes.

Bob

Collapse -
Blacklight Rootkit Revealer scan
by Howmu / October 6, 2006 12:09 AM PDT

turned up 0 problems. So I am just going to forget the incident and will continue to use my computer without a password. I wonder what good using the password is anyway if I could boot up in safe mode and then access my control panel>user settings and turn off the password.

Collapse -
Since you didn't respond to that issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2006 12:20 AM PDT

I take it this is a cracked copy of XP.

Yes, I know of that problem since someone showed it to me. To fix it we had to get a new product key and do a repair install.

Bob

Collapse -
When everything else is working well...
by Howmu / October 6, 2006 4:56 AM PDT

it seems a little drastic to get a new disc and reinstall XP. My original OS was istalled in a shop and to my dismay I later found out it was not a legal copy. I since went into MS's WGA program and paid to get a new product # and they sent me a new disc which I have never had to use. But on a well functioing computer the thought of formatting and reinstalling everything is rather dismal. Do you really feel this is advisable?

Collapse -
Thanks for that. At least I know it's "that issue".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2006 5:06 AM PDT

It is a known crack side effect and I know of no other cure than a proper install.

-> Sorry to have pressed you on the issue but it's best to know that rather than spend a lot of back and forth trying all sorts of repairs with possible dangerous (only for those that didn't backup) repairs.

Keep your backups current for the day you want to fix it.

Again, thanks for the honest answer.

Bob

Collapse -
And I thank you
by Howmu / October 6, 2006 6:43 AM PDT

for your time and effort in helping me. I will keep my updates current as you suggest.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?