General discussion

Parts for building a PC

I'm in the UK (hence prices in pounds sterling) and have just totted up this little set up of components.

I'm not a big gamer, but want it to run at a decent speed for internet, music, word etc. and DVDs.

Does it look all right?
(missing PSU)

AMD (Newcastle) Athlon 64bit 3400+ 754pin 512kb L2cache Retail Boxed Processor with 3 Year Warranty and Fan Included 058432 157

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Parts for building a PC
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Parts for building a PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just a comment/personal opinion

You're building this for yourself and not for someone else so this is not always simple. I see no major problems. I do think the HD is a bit small. It will certainly accommodate an OS and plenty of applications but not much storage. You might do well to consider a second drive. Depending on what kind of music and how critical you are about sound quality, you might consider adding a sound card as the on board devices tend to be fairly basic. I am in the "colonies" so cannot offer a modem outlet but I would suggest an external over an internal. If you get an internal, I'd avoid the "winmodem" (software modem) types. These are resource hogs and often problematic. Just my own thoughts.

- Collapse -
Hmmm.

Good idea about the sound card, Steven.

Also I wouldn't dare consider a software replacement for the modem.
Happy

I doubt I'd have much use for more than 80GB HD, but I guess it's worth having for not much more money.

Thanks.

- Collapse -
Ha ha. Error.

Replace the mobo with this one:

Asus K8V-SE Deluxe S754 VIA k8t800 ATX Sound Gig lAN Firewire USB 2.0 FSB 800 Retail Box 059993 131

- Collapse -
2 things....

1) I would get bigger harddrive
2) go for a skt.939 processor if u have the money

CNET Forums

Forum Info