Computer Help forum

General discussion

Partiton Magic, experience???

by Ray Harinec / April 8, 2006 1:31 AM PDT

I have run into a problem with the work computer. Main drive is a 20 GB, partitioned into 3,[boot], 8 and 8. Worked just fine for Win98SE for years.

QuickBooks has forced an upgrade to QB, but failed to advise that the upgrade will not work with Win9X/ME.

Succesfully upgraded to XP Pro w SP2, however the C drive is very low on space.

I also have a 120 GB SATA drive on the system.

On the 20 GB my E partition has the quickbooks which I would worry about getting corrupted .

I could relocate everything on the D partition to a partition on the SATA drive.

Then use Partiton Magic or?? to basically combine the present C and D to one larger partition. Redesignating the drives with XP is no problem. The only question is what the chances are that my present E partition with Quickbooks would get irreparably damaged.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Partiton Magic, experience???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Partiton Magic, experience???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 1:48 AM PDT

That's why you have a full backup system so when a hard disk dies, you can recover. Same thing with Partition Magic, while good, it's not foolproof so a backup is part of how we use a PC.

Bob

Collapse -
I have no FULL backup.
by Ray Harinec / April 8, 2006 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: No issue.

I don't even know what that means.I have the backups for Quick Books data and the old QB version CD and the new version which han't been installed yet. Given time I could do the entire bit manually. Just wondering if it might be worth buying PM. I normally work only 2 days per week about five hours, and thus the payroll comes around again in8 working hours.

I have never figured out what backup they talk about, such as drive image etc, the drive is constantly changing. How often must one save a new image?

Collapse -
Then what happens when a hard disk fails?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: I have no FULL backup.

What's your plan?

I have mine, but there should be a plan.

Bob

Collapse -
I have all of the CD's etc
by Ray Harinec / April 8, 2006 3:16 AM PDT

and simply reinstall. I have very little, almost no important information, so a drive failure results in clean up.

Saved a few updates to CD.

Really just trying to get an idea whether Partition Magic generally works well.

Basically referring to my home computers. At work, the QB backup is done a number of times a work day and, some MS Office documents once a week, onto an LS120 disk,that's it. Anything else can be reinstalled

Collapse -
Works most of the time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 3:30 AM PDT

It's better than 99% of the time, but imagine that I see less than 99% because people bring me the failures.

Bob

Collapse -
Partition Magic Experieince....YES
by VAPCMD / April 8, 2006 4:51 AM PDT

I have used PM for years and it's a great product.
That said, I have never tried combining partitions with PM which PM indicates it CAN DO.

Just so I understand...is QB, the software application itself, actually on C: and the data is on E: or what ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
No, QB is entirely on the E drive.
by Ray Harinec / April 8, 2006 5:25 AM PDT

I have always srtrictly limited the boot [C] drive to the absolute minimum. XP Pro is running right now with under 3 GB, but I do get warnings that the space is getting low. LOL

Today I had to get the CD drive and SATA drive recognized, even though the drivers were on for years the XP update CD didn't pick them up and I lost the CD and four partitions, LOL.

My CD was on an ITE Raid chip.

Had to bring a CD drive in from home to put on an IDE port to reinstall the mobo drivers for the various RAID and SATA drivers.

Tomorrow I go in and do the QB update. Unfortunately that may want to put a couple of files on the C drive. The panic is that without the forced update QB will not do the tax etc calculations for the paychecks after next week. Total highway robbery, we use so little of such a powerful accounting program, so nothing in the update provides any capability we would ever use. $400 worth of robbery.

Collapse -
Ok then....how much FREE diskspace is there
by VAPCMD / April 8, 2006 9:24 AM PDT

on each partition of the 20GB HDD
PARTITION USED FREE
SIZE
C:
D:
E:

And then you have another hard drive, an SATA 120GB drive with one partition ? And there's enough space to copy the entire quickbooks directory to the SATA drive

And with QuickBooks ... can you desiginate the location for QB Data ? Like now you have the data in E:\QuickBooks and QuickBooks would work if changed that to say F:\QuickBooks or just moved the data to F:
?

Collapse -
D has Three, E has four GB free.
by Ray Harinec / April 8, 2006 9:50 AM PDT

I have no problem finding ways to relocate things,IF I can get the Boot drive to have a few more GB, the rest is simple.

I could simply wipe everything and reinstall, however that will take a long time saving some of the data, or moving it to the SATA drive which is basically empty.

But life would be so simple if Partiton Magic could repartition the 20 GB drive without affecting E partition. The way the QB update CD is structured is actually as a new install as opposed to an update, but it detects an earlier installation from which the data can be transferred from. Thus I'm afraid that it will want to modify .dll's and such on the C drive and possibly run into space problems for the temp files.

I'll probably buy PM and immediately after doing this week's payroll try it. If it doesn't work I'll put a lot of hours in and the secretary will not have a computer to work with for a few days. We have one desk and one computer, I'm bigger than the Secretary so she can only work on M W & F. Only until noon, so I can enjoy the afternoons recovering everything.

Unfortunately I already activated XP, and if I reinstall may have to call MS to explain.

Collapse -
Options Options Options
by VAPCMD / April 8, 2006 1:16 PM PDT

Ray....

Lots of ways to do this....here's two ways using Partition Magic. You reallt need plenty of free space on C: for your swap file and defragging so by all means don't short yourself there.

Before starting...Backup your data. Backup your data and Backup your data.

With that out of the way...get PM and install it.

Run PM and go to Tools and Create Rescue Diskettes.

Take the Rescue Diskettes to the target PC and boot it using the PM floppy disks.

What I would do is shrink the SATA 120GB (now drive F:) to say 90GBs or 80GBs ....take the space from the beginning of the drive so as to create free or unallocated space between drive E: and F:

Once you've shrunk the SATA from say 120 down to 90GB.......then take the empty unallocated space and create a logical partition and format it

If PM will let you move/copy everything on drive 0, partition E,: to the new 30GB partition...if not reboot the system and use XP to MOVE all data on E: to the new partition. Check to see if it worked properly before proceeding to the next step. Assuming it worked go to the next step.

Now reboot from the floppy disks and delete the third partition drive 0, drive E:

Now go back and increase drive D to its max size filling all the remaining space made available from E:.

Now go back and shrink D: from the front side creating unallocated space bewteen C and D..making D: 10GB .

Now go back and add the unallocated space to drive C:.

If you haven't already done reboot the computer and assign drive letter E: to the first partition of the 2nd physical hard drive.

Reboot the PC and you should have the same drive assignments with the disk space reallocated between 2 drives and 4 partitions. Check to see how Quickbooks runs. Depending on how you didvide the partitions you could end up with Drive C:say is 10GBs D: is say 10GBs E: is 30-40GBs and F: is the remainder. You could also do the essentially the same thing if you divided the 120GB into to 3 part and made the C: the entire drive 0.

If any of this doesn't make sense...drop me a note

Good Luck
VAPCMD

PS. While PM states it can merge partitions and everything will work just like it did before the merge ...call me skeptical.. I rather do it as described above and not take that chance. .

Collapse -
used it and loved it
by jonah jones / April 8, 2006 9:12 PM PDT

it will merge partitions with no problem (i hope you have a strong stomach though ;-)) when it starts 'doing it's thing' you get a weird ''what if....'' feeling...

e.g. you can merge C and D and make E bigger, or merge D and E and make C bigger, plus, with the graphical interface, you can "see it before you do it" so to speak...

back up what you can and 'go for it'

jonah

Collapse -
Ray, I have used various versions of Partition Magic,...
by Paul C / April 13, 2006 8:20 AM PDT

...and am currently using Vers. 8.0 - and I've NEVER had an issue after resizing, deleting, merging or creating new partitions.

Of course, I do have full backup - just in case. However, I've never needed it.

Do a proper backup. NOW.

Collapse -
Update. Installed Partition Magic
by Ray Harinec / April 18, 2006 6:32 AM PDT

today, and re apportioned space of the 3 partitions [C,D,E] on the small drive. As far as I can tell it worked like a champ. It is version 8.0. The boot partiton, C, now has lots of extra space.

Now I can upgrade QuickBooks tomorrow or Thursday.

Collapse -
Congrats....glad it did the job.
by VAPCMD / April 18, 2006 2:21 PM PDT

and thanks for the feedback.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.