Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Partitions puzzle

by Boothbay / August 4, 2006 9:03 AM PDT

I recently installed another hd into my system which made it 3 hd's and 1 cd rom. Primary ide master, primary slave and Secondary master and cd slave. All went well upon post...see all devices there and in windows explorer. I have XP. After shutting down the system for a few hours, I rebooted and right away I noticed something was wrong. At the post, once my ram was shown 1034mb, it just stayed there for the longest time and then somehow it bypassed my dual menu ( I also have Win98 ) and went right into the xp logo...well I must of counted 50 or more blue ribbons going by and never actually getting into windows. I shut the system and waited. 4 minutes later I rebooted and this time I did see all of my hd's in the post detected...and the dual menu shown, BUT when I got into XP windows, I went to My Computer and all I see are my 2 hd's and the cd rom. Where are my other 4 partitions? Does anyone know whats going on?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Partitions puzzle
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Partitions puzzle
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bad cable
by jnbhoward / August 4, 2006 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Partitions puzzle

Sounds to me like you have a bad IDE cable, or you just didn't get the cable all the way connected on the new drive.

Press on each end of the cable to make sure it's in firmly, and if the problem persists, just get a new cable. They are quick, cheap, and easy to replace.

Collapse -
4 parts
by PKsteven / August 4, 2006 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Partitions puzzle

Well, what does it show in 98? Did you try and park the jumper on the last drive or set it to cable select? This may help.

Paul

Collapse -
Partition puzzle
by Boothbay / August 4, 2006 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: 4 parts

The cable is firm, the last is my cd rom in slave position and the secondary of that is a master. Win98 explorer shows the same 4 missing. This morning all 10 of my partitions were shown in explorer.

Collapse -
Same issue different pcs.
by PKsteven / August 4, 2006 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Partition puzzle

How unlikely is it that this would happen on three computers, two mine, one someone elses. I have been adding hard drives and partitioning for a very adequate amount of time now, and recently have been having the same problems with the above mentioned. One day, they are seen, the next day, gone. All running XP in some form. I often wonder if XP may in fact have something to do with this. In any case, what I did to FINALLY get them back was took some slow but thorough steps. Unhooked all drives, reset the bios by taking out the battery for about 10 to 15 seconds, put the battery back in, reset ALL jumpers and drives to the appropriate order, and booted up and I haven't had this problem since. Not unless I add another drive which seems to throw XP out of whack and either won't boot at first or\and not recognize hard drive\partitions. My neighbor just added an 80 gig maxtor to his pc and had the same trouble, one day it was fine, the next couple it dissappeared along with his information on that slave drive. Same with me, lost my BACKUP info on that drive. If I currently keep running into this, I would assume XP has some issues with an update or something. The bios sees the devices but XP won't. I am going to add a 30 gig to my son's pc and see what results he gets.

You did in fact go into Cmos setup and see if they were detected?

Paul

Collapse -
XP and Drives
by phantazy / August 4, 2006 1:55 PM PDT

I have noticed that although I only have two drives, If I alter the position or remove one for any reason, the system does not like it. In fact it does not like it at all. I have spent up to a dozen re-starts, before it 'settles down'. It has nothing to do with cables, jumpers or connections. I put it down to having a dual boot situation, but I have no proof. There is also no solution. If I mess with the sequence, add another disk, or take one away, I'm resigned to having a problem for a couple of days. Eventually it returns to normal.

Collapse -
To try and put....
by PKsteven / August 4, 2006 3:51 PM PDT
In reply to: XP and Drives

this another way, since this is in fact part of a problem for me lately, is it somewhat like the drive is part of the other drive on the system and when you remove it, the system hates you, lol? It's almost like a raid setup. I wonder if the antipiracy installs on the XP , the WGA etc...isn't monitoring the other drives as well when you download it and causing conflict. That is a major guess obviously and to be taken lightly as possible. I have another pc I have to work on tomorrow, either reinstalling XP or cleaning it up and putting an 80 gig Maxtor in, if I in fact run into this again, I will in fact be suspicious of XP being the culprit.

Paul

Collapse -
lost info
by Merl Priester / August 4, 2006 1:56 PM PDT

Just because the system does not see a drive, does not cause the drive to lose all the data.

If the drives are jumpered correctly and have good cables and are partitioned correctly (meaning don't use partition magic) you should have no problem.

However, not all mainboards are alike and I don't use 3rd tier boards. Many I have seen are poor at doing many things including detecting hard drives.

Note that clearing the BIOS and "reseting" the jumpers fixed it, means that either the jumpers weren't set right to start with or the mainboard's BIOS is not of good enough quality.

Collapse -
Merl...
by PKsteven / August 4, 2006 3:42 PM PDT
In reply to: lost info

..when you boot up and the partitions are gone and no partitions found, corruption to the partitions, loss of info can in fact happen.

Make no mistake, I agree with you which is why just myself alone running into this lately on every pc, is very unusual to say the least. If i had a nickle for every drive I put in, took out, formatted...never had this strange problem. And I was just about to post an update on my son's pc which I put the 30 gig samsung in, he runs XP pro, would not detect at all until I restarted umpteen times. It is now detected but i wonder for how long. This is in my old Athlon which I have changed drives\other parts in for the past almost 8 years and never had a free\new formatted drive NOT get detected once booted but yet recognized by the bios. The jumper is set to slave, the 200 gig to master, have done this many many times on this machine. I kept reseating, etc...but if recognized in bios then I would assume it's somewhere into the OS that this problem is occuring. On my wife's hp, which has 80 gig maxtor, 30 gig maxtor, the drive was no longer detected (30 gig) even after being in here and recognized already, I finally got it recognized but did NOT lose info on this one. I think the neighbor did have partition magic or something on that order as he mentioned it but I saw no sign of it being installed. May have booted with the disk that way.
Either way, the drive still dissappeared.

And just to be clear, I ASSUME my reseating the jumpers etc...(which I am clearly starting to doubt)...fixed it as it was recognized after. And please understand, I limited the actual events by quite a bit so it was a quick explanation. I was throwing a typical troubleshooting tactic at the postee in hopes it may work.
I also had to keep restarting the system\systems with the CORRECT jumper settings numerous times, and WITHOUT making any other changes to the jumpers, etc...and FINALLY they would be recognized. I just put a hard drive in a Win ME older Bell with no issues at all. Just for the record, while I may not explain things in words very well, i do know what i am doing. I told my wife a couple of weeks back that NEVER have I had SO much trouble with dual booting, simply adding a slave drive, drive not being detected, etc..I mentioned after all the hd installs I have done, this has never happened.

Please understand, I am not saying this a big XP conspiracy here, but either with the new anti-piracy software etc...perhaps something is detecting or conflicting with extra drives on the systems and eventually knocks them out. And as you said, IF jumpered correctly, you should not have a problem, well, that's what I always thought as well but that's NOT the way it has been lately.

Paul

Collapse -
Originator of Partition puzzle
by Boothbay / August 5, 2006 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Merl...

Well with all this talk about jumpers and cables and such, i booted my system this morning and eureeka..all 10 partitions ( 3 hd's ) are there. First you see it and then you don't. It likes playing hide and seek.

Collapse -
Boothbay, Try this
by Themisive / August 5, 2006 5:44 AM PDT

Download this utility, it will analyse your computer for you, tell you what drives you have where and what RAM you have and where. You can get it from http://www.belarc.com/ - it's free, and also estremely useful.

Collapse -
It's strange enough...
by PKsteven / August 5, 2006 1:30 PM PDT

I ran into a friend of mine who builds computers today and asked him if he indeed had the same issues and he almost shouted , YES! He had been in fact having the same issues and couldn't figure out why and thought it was coincidence at first as did I. He mentioned when trying to pull a slave drive or add a hard drive of any sort he has had a lot of trouble, the OS not recognizing the drive etc...So not saying this is written in stone considering how many computers are out there but I am thinking of contacting MS and telling them these issues. I highly doubt it's all these computers, I would say XP. He just installed and extra drive in 98 and had no trouble at all. I guess I am trying to put this together. How would MS know if there are no error reports? It would be up to users to tell them which If I in fact run into this any more , I will. I just installed the new hard drive in a pc today so I await a call saying the drive is no longer recognized. We'll see.

Paul

Collapse -
Partition puzzle
by Boothbay / August 6, 2006 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: It's strange enough...

I agree, but why wait, if you know it can happen, tell them now, I know I will. As of now, all seems well again, I am seeing all my partitions ( 10 ) of them since yesterday...so who knows why it likes to play hide and seek on occasions. I did notice on boot up post, it does acknowledge all my drives ..detected. But when I go into Bios,my primary master is shown, but it says 'no' for my primary slave. Then it sees my secondary master and its cd slave. ..go figure. i see all in My computer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?