Storage forum

General discussion

Partitions on a flash drive?

I am trying to update my motherboards BIOS from a flash drive and the instructions said you had to have a single partition only. I have a SanDisk Cruzer micro 4GB that has U3 software on it. Can I use that to update my BIOS? Does it have more than one partition?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Partitions on a flash drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Partitions on a flash drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Systems always seem to see my U3 Flash Drive as

In reply to: Partitions on a flash drive?

having two partitions.

Don't have a floppy drive ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Nope

I don't have a floppy. I also tried the updater that came with the mobo. It updates while in the windows environment, but it didn't work.

Collapse -
This modern technology is passing me up.

Bios that recognize flashdrive(usb) and it has more than one partition? I just can't wrap my mind around it.

Collapse -
Flash Drives from the factory with more than 1 partition is

In reply to: This modern technology is passing me up.

exclusive to the U3 family so don't get too worried...at least for now.

But I'm still old school...I put a floppy in every system I put together....at less than $10, it's just easier to have and not need than need and not have.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
And then you get to play . . .

In reply to: Flash Drives from the factory with more than 1 partition is

with a USB floppy drive. After you've told the BIOS to boot from a USB device. And you keep your fingers crossed.

Wink

Collapse -
Amen on the 'boot from USB floppy' or any USB storage

In reply to: And then you get to play . . .

device for that matter. Wish I had greater confidence in booting from a floppy disk or a CD and accessing data on an attached USB device....maybe I'd be more inclined to try them as candidates as backup/restore devices.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Time to buy a non-U3 flash drive?

Collapse -
new drive

So I need to get a new flash drive to update my BIOS then i guess.

Collapse -
I recommend getting a floppy disk.....always

In reply to: new drive

worked for the purposes intended...and there are other programs and diags you can run for your system.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
OK

I thought about that but they didn't have a black one in stock when I built my pc. It needs to match the case. BestBuy had them but they were like $25 and I didn't want to spend that much. I think I'll get one now. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Lots of floppy drive available online... under $10

In reply to: OK

Collapse -
I see at Office Depot,

In reply to: OK

4G is going for 12.99 today. I think I'll pick one up tomorrow to see just how this will work.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.