Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Partitioning Windows XP Home

by jackfrost64 / January 29, 2004 11:09 AM PST

Am having a problem Moving Program Files to there own Partition. Any suggestions.

Richard

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Partitioning Windows XP Home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Partitioning Windows XP Home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Partitioning Windows XP Home
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2004 11:13 AM PST

Programs since about 1995 (Windows 95) no longer "move." You have to uninstall programs and use what options the software installers offer.

A thorn in some people's side is that Microsoft Office hard codes the drive letter that has Windows into key components.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Partitioning Windows XP Home
by jackfrost64 / January 29, 2004 12:38 PM PST

Thanks Bob, Will try that and am sure that will work. Will post when project is finished.

Richard

Collapse -
Re:Re:Partitioning Windows XP Home - Bob
by jackfrost64 / February 11, 2004 2:52 AM PST

Tried to install Programs where I wanted and got most to install. Problem, After install programs were still listed as installed on C:\ Start, All Programs. Also tried infomation on: http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm. any suggestions or thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Richard

Collapse -
"still listed as installed on C:\ Start, All Programs" is proper for ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2004 3:55 AM PST

Your profile to list such in the start menu as the shortcuts for your profile SHALL! exist in your home directory.

Please dig deeper.

Bob

Collapse -
by JenDScot / February 11, 2004 5:23 AM PST

You can move files and directories to other partitions, just using the copy and paste command. It will place the item on another partition, just remember to remove the original path.

Collapse -
Read the request again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2004 5:41 AM PST

Your method will still leave an entry in C:\...\Start\Program Files.

Show them how to move that too.

Collapse -
Re:Read the request again.
by jackfrost64 / February 16, 2004 9:31 AM PST

Have tried what you suggested, no luck. Direct install seemed to work but turned in to a big mess. Any other suggestions?

Richard

Collapse -
Here's a small issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 10:17 AM PST

Some programs like Microsoft Office have been creating issues with some users and admin for years since Microsoft has hard coded the installer to drop shared components into C:\Windows or more accurately the %WINDIR% location.

There is no real cure since this is the way of things.

I read your post more than once and since the user's home directory is also of C: the menu resides there as well. Moving the user's home is done with what is known as FOLDER REDIRECTION. There is no GUI or CLICK-HERE method to accomplish this, so you are left with a lot of work and in the end a fragile setup.

Your choice as to what to do next.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Here's a small issue.
by JenDScot / February 17, 2004 9:36 PM PST
In reply to: Here's a small issue.

Bob, I have found with MS Office apps, it does run a lot of additional background functions, which are also not needed for windows to function properly, has this individual considered stopping their functions in services, and then changing them to manual?

Collapse -
Re:Read the request again.
by JenDScot / February 17, 2004 9:32 PM PST

Bob I stated in the post to remove the original path!

Collapse -
by Mailman / February 16, 2004 12:28 PM PST

I've been down the whole partitioning route, and have
discovered that partitioning just "muddies the waters",
so to speak. I never did it again and get along just
fine without it. My advice is keep just one partition
covering the entire drive regardless of size. You will
be much better off in the long run. IMHO.

~Dave

Collapse -
Re:Re:Partitioning Windows XP Home
by gene001 / February 16, 2004 1:05 PM PST

The "ideal" way to handle programs is to have the "root", "C" partition for the Operating System only.
Then have a partition for "programs"
Then a partition for "data"
With windows, this will be a "mostly ideal" situation because most programs automatically put part of the program in the "program files" and "common files" folders on the C: drive anyway.
Most computers come new with only the "c:" drive and all programs installed on it.
You would have to uninstall the program completely (including checkin for refrences to it in the Registry) then re install it, after creating partitions) on the new partition.
The reason for all this is that once done, it makes it very easy to back up data. Also Defrag rins nice this way.
Food for thought

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Partitioning Windows XP Home
by jackfrost64 / February 17, 2004 7:44 AM PST

This is exactly what I am looking for Progress in some items, paging file, Temporary files, My Documents While some have faile, Mainly some or most of Programs a no go. Am still working on this and will post either way once the final verdict is in.

Richard

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.