Computer Help forum

General discussion

Partition trouble... is there any way to access?

Ok I'm hoping I didn't screw up too badly. When I bought my computer I partitioned it into two drives. One (C:) was my Windows and core files, the other (K:) was for all my work and personal stuff. I ran out of room on C: and went to merge the two using PartitionMagic and create a folder named Drive on C: with K's information.
Well it didn't work correctly. Now my XP is extremely slow to boot, explorer loads but does not display my start menu or task bar, and the only way I can browse my computer is through Task Manager. The folder Drive is displayed on C: but with no information, and at the same time K: is still listed as a drive under My Computer but if I try to access it an error pops up that says the drive is corrupt and unreadable.
Is there any way I can get to my files on the hard drive seeing as how I did not reformat or delete anything? Is there a way to access the hard drive as a slave disk and recover the information? Some of the work files are extremely important. I'm willing to try anything short of reformatting.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Partition trouble... is there any way to access?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Partition trouble... is there any way to access?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
text

In reply to: Partition trouble... is there any way to access?

there is text here, not sure why the NT label is in the topic

Collapse -
What I should do:

In reply to: Partition trouble... is there any way to access?

1. Remove the drive and install XP on a new one. No need to partition it, unless you prefer so.
2. Mount the current damaged drive in an external enclosure and see what the usual data recovery software (http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7588_102-0.html?forumID=70&threadID=297050&messageID=2787000#2787000 is Bob Proffitts recommendation) finds on the drive. You've lost what it can't find, unless you pay a professional data recovery company for a second opinion.

What I should have done:
0. Made a backup before using Partition Magic. In fact I make a regular backup of files that I consider just 'important' (I don't have a category 'extremely important'). Some of our members don't and occasionally lose things. Their choice (like yours?).

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.