Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Partition the Hard Disc,which is 140GB,load 2000

by chiru / March 4, 2005 6:28 AM PST

HI,
I have a requirement,where i need to load windows 2000 in Dell computer. I have used bootable cd of windows 2000 to format the only partition available which is 140GB. Now once the copying of the files is done, the setup asked me to restart the machine, and as i did it ...no process starts after that...the monitor just shows the blank screen. Iam surprised,when i did this kind of installatio on other computer , the setup resumed after restarting. But here, setup is some how unable to resume..
I tried pressing F12 for boot options, and it gives the options like boot from the CD, hard Disc,etc..
i tried CD again, now setup process starts from the starting again...leaving me clueless, of whats going one...previously windows xp is present that came with Dell. now since my setup have formatted the only partiion present. the computer doesnt have any OS existing now...can some one suggest me ways to work around this problem..
thanks in advance.
Chiru.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Partition the Hard Disc,which is 140GB,load 2000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Partition the Hard Disc,which is 140GB,load 2000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2005 6:45 AM PST

I haven't accomplished this feat with Windows 2000 yet. Here's why. The stock Windows 2000 CD can't prepare an 140GB drive. This issue is noted at http://48bitlba.com/

I have been able to make a slipstreamed Windows 2000 CD with SP4 and make an 127GB volume...

Best of luck,

bob

Collapse -
thanks for replying
by chiru / March 4, 2005 4:26 PM PST
In reply to: Not yet.

i finished the installation ,by splitting the disk..since it was clearly mention that windows 2000 cant handle disc that is more than 137GB.
chiru.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!