Storage forum

General discussion

Partition resize failure

by ultrarob / June 11, 2007 10:16 AM PDT

I used GParted in Ubuntu to shrink my Ubuntu partition and enlarge my windows partition. Halfway through enlarging the Windows partition, the windows partition was mounted for some reason, and the resize process stopped.

Now I've got this discrepancy:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o20/ninjahero/partition.jpg

How do I get Windows to read this partition as the 62.5 GB partition it should be?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Partition resize failure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Partition resize failure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Restore from your backup then..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2007 9:55 PM PDT

Bow to the inevitable purchase of Partition Magic.

Bob

Collapse -
inevitable, yes
by ultrarob / June 12, 2007 10:18 AM PDT

Well I've certainly learned my lesson. But is there no way to fix it besides a Windows reinstall/restore?

Collapse -
From the story, no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2007 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: inevitable, yes

Partition resizing, even with PM is never a sure thing so everyone usually tells everyone to backup.

Since it sounds like you must start over why not just partition from the getgo?

Bob

Collapse -
I know what I'm doing this weekend
by ultrarob / June 12, 2007 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: From the story, no.

Well I'm thinking Linux probably isn't worth the trouble anyway, so I'll just figure out what to do with my HP recovery partition (didn't shell out extra for actual vista install disks) and start over.

I'm not trying to insult you, but just to make sure, you do understand that the partition in question, the windows partition, is completely usable, in fact I'm on it right now, but windows doesn't recognize its size correctly?

Collapse -
Sorry, I didn't know that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2007 12:09 AM PDT

I reread your post, looked at the picture and can't see why I'd repair this.

-> Let's be clear about what you want to do here. If it's working, why fix this?

If you want to add that 5.12GB to the "winblows" partition, I think only a few simple steps might be needed. Now I have to repeat the "backup first" everytime we write about such things but my thoughts are this.

1. In disk management, delete the 5.12GB parition. (maybe the other one too?)
2. We want to have UNALLOCATED SPACE. I can't explain why so many times people can't or won't do this step. They continually make a partition rather than leaving it unallocated.

Now we might be ready for GPARTED to grow the winblows partition. You would also be ready for a nearly painless install of most Linux distros.

Bob

Collapse -
Subthread of "windows doesn't recognize its size correctly?"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2007 12:10 AM PDT

Nothing here shows me this issue. From the posts so far and the picture all looks exactly as it should be.

Bob

Collapse -
44.46 or 62.5 GB?
by ultrarob / June 13, 2007 3:07 AM PDT

Notice that "winblows" partition in the top pane has a listed capacity of 44.46 GB. This was it's original size (before I attempted to resize it).

In the lower pane, the "winblows" partition is listed as 62.5 GB. This is the size that I was resizing it to.

If I look at the drive in explorer, it also tells me the partition is 44.46 GB.

So basically I'm missing the ~18 GB. 44.46 + the sizes of my other partitions do not add up to an 80 GB HDD.

And thanks for all your help so far, Bob.

Collapse -
It appears to be proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2007 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: 44.46 or 62.5 GB?
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/resize/resizing.htm
And other readings tells me that you are in the MIDDLE of the resize operation. The shrink is now about 1/2 done. Look at this link and use GPARTED to grow the partition back to full size.

About Disk Management. It's a dunce at this partition feature and can't pull off this trick of having a partition be 60GB but set the capacity to lower.

Sorry that you have to lead me around to the error but I didn't see it till you pointed right at it.

And again, we always are ready for a total wipeout when we do these things.

Bob
Collapse -
grow the filesystem?
by ultrarob / June 15, 2007 3:27 PM PDT

Booting off the Ubuntu Live CD, it looks like I don't have any room to grow the partition.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o20/ninjahero/ss.jpg

I think the partition resizing process died right before the filesystem could be grown to fill the partition. The screenshot above shows that Gparted says the partition is 62.5 GiB, but the system monitor says the file system is only 44.5 GB. Should I do something to grow the filesystem?

I'll be out of town for a week without access to the internet. I'll get back on this when I'm back.

Thanks again for the help so far, Bob!

Collapse -
Then shrink it by ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2007 9:17 PM PDT
In reply to: grow the filesystem?

I'd shrink it by .1 GB and grow it back. The idea here is to help it fix the issue.

You could also dust off /dev/sda3?

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2007 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Then shrink it by ...

I meant dust off the areas between winblows and the hp recovery partition. What I do is to do all the shrinking and growing first. Then when that's all settled down I create the new partitions for Linux.

Many try to do it all at one time, but I don't. I can only guess that I'm dodging the bullet.

Bob

Collapse -
suppress partition mount?
by ultrarob / July 2, 2007 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry...

I fixed my MBR and deleted my linux partitions. Whenever I try to grow the windows partition, that partition is mounted at some point in the process, even though I unmounted it right before I began the resize process. How can I keep it from mounting the partition?

Collapse -
The problem fixed itself
by ultrarob / July 2, 2007 10:09 PM PDT

Trying it again, it worked, and everything went back to normal, despite the fact that it failed before resizing the filesystem. I'm not sure how that works, but whatever...

Collapse -
registry entry
by no1ninja / June 23, 2008 11:29 PM PDT

windows is confused as there is a registry entry which records partion information. it may update itself after a few restarts but if not it needs to be reset/deleted. after a restart all should be well.

the key that needs to be deleted is:

hkey_local_machine\system\mounted devices

Collapse -
resize partition with Partition Manager
by apple1314 / August 12, 2010 7:32 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.