Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Partition Problem

Hi,
I'm having a problem with the total size of my main Partition ( C:)...It's size is 19.6 GB.
But, when I view the details it shows me data which I think is wrong. Apparently, the free space on my partition is only 150 MB and it keeps changing everytime I restart my PC. But when I select each folder separately ( including the hidden ones) and click on Properties, it show me that the 'Size On Disk' is only 17.1 GB. I have a feeling I'm missing the 2GB somewhere...

Any Solutions?

Thanks,
Bliss.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Partition Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Partition Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Might be proper.

In reply to: Partition Problem

Tell me about how Windows shows "binary bytes" and the drive makers tell use "decimal bytes". Tell me how this leads to people trying to find space that is reported in two different counting methods and how you are dealing with this some 7 percent difference.

The free space changes with each boot. Nothing amiss there.
Bob

Collapse -
Possibly your Page File, (Virtual Memory)?

That's a lot of folders to check manually, and as Explorer is not that accurate, some error is inevitable.

But maybe your virtual memory is taking up the slack.

Have you tried any housekeeping, like Disk Cleanup? That utility will also delete all but the latest System Restore backup files.

I would have thought that a 20GB partition for XP was a little on the low size. I assume you have another partition for your larger files, (videos, music, etc), and with a smaller partition like that careful management is going to be needed.

Mark

Collapse -
Not Convinced...

In reply to: Possibly your Page File, (Virtual Memory)?

I do use CCleaner and EasyCleaner to clean up but it does not seem to have an effect. I don't really know what the problem is because sometimes, but very rarely, I've seen the disk usage statistics of Explorer show that i have 2GB of free space. I don't understand how it can change by such a big margin when I reboot.

Also, I want to know if it is advisable to run Diskeeper on such low free space...

Thanks.

Collapse -
Try this check

In reply to: Not Convinced...

With all hidden folders and files displayed, (including deselected "Hide protected operating system files"), look for the file "pagefile.sys" in your root directory, (usually C:\ ).

My own is 2,096,116 KB, which is about 1.99GB.

Mark

Collapse -
Uh Huh...

In reply to: Try this check

Thanks...my pagefile.sys is 960 MB, and what about the Diskeeper query?
Is it advisable to defragment the page file??

Collapse -
Well, that's half your missing 2GB

In reply to: Uh Huh...

I would suggest the other half is in Windows inability to correctly add up.

I don't know about DiskKeeper, so I can't comment on it, but the page file does not need defragging. It is dynamic, meaning it will be used as and when it is needed, and there is nothing stored permanently there. It is virtual RAM, and RAM is not permanent storage.

Also, defragging anything will not free up used space. It re-organizes files already stored on the hard disk for easier and quicker access, but the gain is marginal on most systems.

I have to repeat myself and say that your 19GB hard drive/partition for the OS is going to need careful management when installing software. It is a little on the small side.

Mark

Collapse -
Diskeeper

In reply to: Uh Huh...

Hi,

Diskeeper 2008 is designed to minimize fragmentation even in low space conditions. Since you have about 2 GB free out of 19 GB, Diskeeper ought to run without problems. Defragmentation in a low space situation is best performed in the automatic defragmentation mode.

Defragmentation of a fragmented page file can be done during a boot-time defrag, and may require sufficient contiguous free space (depending on it's size), to defragment it entirely.

If you have further questions, which cannot be answered with the information from the FAQs section at the Diskeeper website
http://support.diskeeper.com/support/diskeeperfaqs.aspx?Page=5&Subpage=2&cust=1&RId=1&CId=1&SId=2

please feel free to ask them on this thread.

----------------------
Representative
Diskeeper Corporation

Collapse -
Did you include ...

the VERY hidden folder called System Volume Information? That's where System Restore stores its data. You can clean it by turning off (and preferably turning on again) system restore.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.