PC Applications forum

General discussion

Partition Magic Won't Create New Partition

I am running win-XP-HE OS on a Maxtor 120gb hd. I want to create a second partition using Partition Magic 8.0. After selecting the partition size and rebooting, the conversion process stops with the following Error Message:

"Error 1611: Bad System File Name, File 9 (48)"

Symantec's Knowledge Base Solution is to run "chkdsk /f" from the cammand prompt, which I did. This did not correct the problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ray Savage

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Partition Magic Won't Create New Partition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Partition Magic Won't Create New Partition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Partition Magic Won't Create New Partition

In reply to: Partition Magic Won't Create New Partition

From what I read, that error can crop up if the drive has a bad sector. Use the drive maker's fitness test.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Partition Magic Won't Create New Partition

Bob:
Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I ran the Maxor Diagnostic Test which indicated that the HD was OK. I also ran a Virus Scan which showed no infection. What next?

Thanks,
Ray

Collapse -

In reply to: Partition Magic Won't Create New Partition

Since the drive passed the Maxtor diag, then you have to call them for support. Not all drives can be repartioned. PM has limits if GoBack or "other" tools are installed.

Bob

Collapse -

Bob:
Thanks for your reply. Will check with Maxtor.

Thanks,
Ray

Collapse -
Not maxtor, but power quest.

Unless the partition is "plain", and no extra items such as Maxblast drive extension software is loaded, PM just works.

It can be painful to figure out why PM is complaining.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Not maxtor, but power quest.

In reply to: Not maxtor, but power quest.

Bob:
Just wanted to let you know "the rest of the story". I moved the files from the Maxtor HD to my second HD using Casper. I used Fdisk and formatted the Maxtor HD with the partitions I wanted. I then copied my files back to Maxtor partition-1 using Casper.Everything now works as it is supposed to - I was even able to make some additional minor changes with PM. Not "very pretty", but got the job done FINALLY! Thanks so very much for your direction and encouragement.

Best regards,
Ray

Collapse -
Yes, that works.

In reply to: Re: Not maxtor, but power quest.

And pretty much as we suspected. "Something" was not quite right with that partition on that drive.

Your course of action was sound and correct in my book. I've watched others go round and round on drives that PM wouldn't touch. Almost everytime they burn a few weeks up trying to fix it or money tossed at PM's support.

Cheers!

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.