General discussion

Partition Magic 8.0

XP Pro AMD 2400+ 1024ram
I was trying to prepare my 120gig maxtor hd with PM to copy all contents to an external 80gig hd using PM to adjust partitions, PM claimed success and then when it rebooted something it went wrong. message system 32 HAL.dd missing or corrupt. Using rescue dicks created in PM I got a view of the drive but also the error 1516 drive unmounted message.
I tried to repair XP as suggested in XP forum but ended up with the pc going in circles.
Having installed the ext hd alone I loaded XP home fine. However I cannot see or get to my original 120gig maxtor, where all my data is.
Any ideas please
Regards
Ralph

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Partition Magic 8.0
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Partition Magic 8.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Recently discussed.

PM is a partition manager. If you "move" XP's boot partition, such will happen. If you are unlucky, you wipe the drive and restore from your backup.

Bob

- Collapse -
Whats can I do now

Hi Bob,
What can I do now, I have installed my external 80gig drive with XP home sp1 on it as master and the original 120gig as slave. Is there any way i can to reset or repair the partitions to enable me to recover os and the application data and files.
Thanks for your help
Ralph

- Collapse -
The outs.

1. Try to boot a KNOPPIX CD to see if it sees the files.

2. Applications never come back. Just reinstall them.

3. Partition Magic has a support desk. Use that. A few pirated the product and... well, they won't call.

and ...

4. I don't use Partition Magic. My only experience is with others that use it and the problems that occur. Mind you that I'm sure that 99 out of 100 times it works (I hope better), but I just don't need this software.

Bob

- Collapse -
Partition Magic 8.0 and #1516 Error

General Informatation that will, hopefully, prove useful when this error happens. (Happened to me when trying to install Symantec BootMagic...installation instructed me to create a Fat32 or Fat16 partition to install onto since BootMagic would not install on ntfs...did this and received the 1516 error upon reboot.

Fix: If you have a Linux boot CD, boot the machine, obtain GRUB (http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/), follow the help file to install --if it's not already on the Linux CD--.

GRUB has very simple commands that will let you read a sector from another partition, i.e., the Windows boot partition --this will probably be the primary and largest partition on your drive.

Follow the example and you should be able to boot into Windows. This should "at least" let you get Windows running in order to retrieve your data.

Hope it helps.

CNET Forums

Forum Info