HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Partition HD.......

by rj-con2031 / January 30, 2006 5:00 AM PST

....Is there any benifet from installing xp on a seprate partition?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Partition HD.......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Partition HD.......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You'll have to make a list why you would do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: Partition HD.......

Why whould you?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Slight increase in system performance.
by John.Wilkinson / January 30, 2006 6:06 AM PST
Collapse -
Can be a decrease too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 6:26 AM PST

The old myth about swap on it's own partition will never die. Works for Linux, but Windows?

Bob

Collapse -
Depends who you talk to
by Bob__B / January 30, 2006 7:16 AM PST

Some folks will split a HD into 2/4/8 partitions and then tell you all the good reasons for doing such a thing.

Perhaps the reasons are valid.

I always thought that this just created a complex system.

I'm from the keep it simple school.

One partition and everything goes out there.

I keep regular ext backups and when the HD goes south I'm not concerned about my music goes on 'E' and my pics go on 'F' etc.

As an added bonus.
I have not had to put in a post that says something like.

HELP... my'C'drive is full but my D/E/F/G drives are empty.

Bottom line...I just want the machine to work and I don't want any fuss and I want it to be brainless.

Collapse -
Yup...Depends on who you talk to
by VAPCMD / January 30, 2006 2:02 PM PST

Simple is good. However,it too has its disadvantages and risks.

To minimize the risk of data loss, I always use/recommend systems with at least two partitions. One partition for OS and APPS and the other for DATA. That way if the system crashes or hiccups ... there's less risk of losing the data in the process of restoring the system.

To make disaster recovery even easier and faster...I use of a second internal for (image) backups. I take that one step further and put image copies on an external HDD. I'd probably try backups to externals but I haven't figured out a reliable, bullet-proof method to get the images off USB external HDDs and restore them back onto a fresh, clean internal hard drive.

So far this strategy/method has never failed me or those I help now and then. Ghost 2003 is my imaging SW of choice and I've also tried Drive Image and True Image.

Collapse -
thanks much................n/m
by rj-con2031 / January 30, 2006 2:48 PM PST

n/m

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.