Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Partition Hard Drive??

by sassilou01 / March 25, 2011 6:51 PM PDT

I would like to partition part of the hard drive of my new PC (HP P6645A - Intel Core i5 650; 3.2GHz; 6GB DDR3 RAM; 1T hard drive; DVD-RW; 1GB ATI HD5450 Graphics; TV Tuner; Windows 7 Home Premium)

I have downloaded some software via CNET (Mini Tool Partition Wizard) to do this. I have read the reader's reviews of the software, which seemed to be okay. However, I am a bit afraid of wrecking my PC, in particular my NEW PC.

Is is possible to do any irreparable damage to the hard drive?? Any advice or reassurance would be welcome.

Milo02

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Partition Hard Drive??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Partition Hard Drive??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Partition Hard Drive?
by pip22 / March 26, 2011 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Partition Hard Drive??

Unless there is any unpartitioned space currently on the drive (ie unallocated space) you won't be able to make any new partitions on it without deleting the existing partition. This will obviously mean that you'll need to re-install Windows from scratch after new partitions have been created.

Collapse -
Not so.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 26, 2011 9:22 PM PDT

With Windows 7 own Disk Management console it is possible to create a new partition off the system disk without harming the existing Windows 7 installation.

The existing partition has to be 'shrunk' first and the new partition is created from the remainder.

There are plenty of guides how to do this, and a video example is here;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6_wwuBp0iI

I don't know about the OP's selection of software, but in any case, it is always advisable to have a plan in case anything goes wrong, and to back up personal files and so on before continuing.

Mark

Collapse -
partitioning utilities.
by apple20121314 / March 27, 2011 12:45 PM PDT

As I know, there are many partition manager can help yo partition hard drive, the minitool partition wizard you chose and mentioned, Acronis Disk Director, Aomei Partition Assistant and so on, you can choose the alternatives, all of them work well as people's reviews you can take for reference.
http://www.aomeitech.com
http://www.acronis.com

Collapse -
Do a backup first
by tekchallenged / March 27, 2011 5:30 PM PDT

You can't destroy your hard disk, but it is possible for your installation to get a bit messed up (the windows 7 boot loader didn't like it when I repartitioned using gparted).

I suggest that you make an image of your complete system before you do anything. If it all gets messed up, you can restore it.

You shouldn't have any issues shrinking your existing partition and creating a new one in Windows, as suggested by MarkFlax, but if you start changing things with third party software, windows might "get upset".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.