PC Applications forum

Question

partition expansion question

by Niki_PC / May 24, 2011 8:39 AM PDT

Hi, Need more space on C:\. Acer partitioned hard disk into C:\ and D:\. Both are FAT32.
1- programs do not see space on D:\ why is that?
2- I shrunk D:\ with Easeus partition master 7.1.1 on windows XP. But it says errors found on operating disk and does not expand C:\ to add newly unallocated space. Disk error check ran, found no errors. How can I expand C:\?

Any help is appreciated.

Niki

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: partition expansion question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: partition expansion question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Need more info.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2011 8:45 AM PDT

Since this is FAT32, what's the OS on it? Windows 95 has some issues we must avoid.

Collapse -
clarification
by Niki_PC / May 24, 2011 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Need more info.

It's windows XP home edition

Collapse -
On FAT32? Ok there are LIMITS there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2011 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: clarification

DO NOT PASS 127GB or this OS will fail to boot.

GPARTED can expand it if there is empty space for the expansion.

Also, all partition expansions are RISKY!!! If anyone says it is safe, they lied. It works most of the time and the one time it doesn't is when it's critical that it doesn't screw up.
Bob

Collapse -
re:
by Niki_PC / May 24, 2011 10:24 AM PDT

Hi and thanks for your advice.

C:\ is 44.3GB and D:\ is 39.9 GB, which is completely useless since no program recognizes D:\ as available space. also now I have 5GB unallocated which I was planning to add to C:\.

Questions:

1- why do manufacturers partition the disk?

2- why do programs not "see" the space on D:\

3- what do I do with this now?

Thanks again

Collapse -
Odd you write that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2011 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

If D: is empty what stopped us from removing that partition and giving use free open space?

If D: is mostly empty what stopped us from using GPARTED to shrink it, move it and then add that space to C:?

As to questions 2 and 3 I don't own your machine or maintain it. All my systems can load and save to other drive letters fine.

BUT!!! And this is the big one. I'm encountering new users that think apps should use that space without us pointing to D:, some folder and saving "THERE!"
Bob

Collapse -
RE:
by Niki_PC / May 24, 2011 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd you write that.

I did save the folder for the program that needed space on D:\, but it still complains that I do not have 5GB. So how else do I point to D:\? I'm not at your level. can you please explain?

I still have not used GPARTED.

Collapse -
Sorry but what wants 5GB?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2011 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

GPARTED is free, sports a pretty friend user interface and boots from CD or maybe other things.

Sorry but saving a file or word document to drive D is something basic. I think that's a good question for the COMPUTER HELP forum.

I saw your post about partitioning lacking a reply for some time and I am addressing that topic.
Bob

Collapse -
re:
by Niki_PC / May 24, 2011 10:48 AM PDT

I DID save it to D:\, I'm way beyond that. I thought you were saying I should do something other than just saving it there.

Collapse -
what is it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2011 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

Let me guess it's GPARTED. Just a sec while I see how big it is today.

GPARTED looks to be 133.6 MB for the CD .ISO.

Sorry, I have to ask What is it?
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let's cover some OLD FAT LORE?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2011 11:03 AM PDT

As partitions grow in size, FAT increases the number of sectors in a cluster. This can lead and does to some SLACK or wasted space that can't be used. For this reason folk would carve up drives in to 4GB, 8G, 16GB and such to avoid this issue.

It was also common in the early days of XP to use FAT formats for those that were fearful of the "new" NTFS or though it was slower than FAT. I won't debate that area but FAT is too easily damaged and you saw machines constantly checking disks at boot time.

As time passed most have made the transition to NTFS so the cluster issue vanished as well as the reliability issue.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!