Storage forum

General discussion

Partition 1 and Partition 2 overlapped on Hard disk 1 Error

by thebat1 / June 23, 2007 10:13 AM PDT

Hope someone can help.. Here is what I have?

WindowsXP PRO
2 gig memory
MSI motherboard
Intell pentium 4

1.) hard drive 200 gig with 2 partitions Master (IDE CABLE) (Lets
say C and D for lack of any other way to explain.) and not counting the cd
drive as a "Partition" but it is E on the "cable"(IDE CABLE) select. I didnt know if the cd would be counted as a Partition, So if you count
the cd as a partition would be 3 partitions.

2.) Hard drive 320 gig with 4 partions Master (IDE CABLE) F,G,H,I and
not counting a cd drive as a "Partition" but is the J on the cable (IDE
CABLE) Select. I didnt know if the cd would be counted as a Partition
So if you count the cd as a partition would be 5 partitions.

The reason I did this.. wanted to take everything off the 200 gig and wipe fresh.
wanted to have the 320 gig like F for operating system G for Zipped and
unzipped stuff H for Music and I for swap (memory?)
and after cleaning the 200 gig completely format/partition for extra
storage or maybe dual boot (different operating system)

This is what I am wanting..
1 hard drive 200 gig with 2 partitions(master) and cd drive as slave
2 hard drive 320 gig with 4 partitions(Master) and cd drive as slave

When I boot up with the Partition table boot disk.. I get the message.. Partition 1 and partition 2 on hard disk 1 overlapping.

I have searched everywhere only to find Nothing.
I need a Soloution to this error.

Only answer I can find is to wipe the drive.

How do I fix this without loosing my stuff?

Hope I explained this so someone can understand.
thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Partition 1 and Partition 2 overlapped on Hard disk 1 Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Partition 1 and Partition 2 overlapped on Hard disk 1 Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
NTFS is the file system
by thebat1 / June 23, 2007 10:17 AM PDT

I forgot to put that NTFS is what I have.

Collapse -
Ouch!

My only suggestion would be to attempt a repair on the partition table using a program such as DiskPatch. You may get lucky and be able to access most, if not all, of your data afterwards. (Be sure to indicate you want to restore all partitions.) Before you do, though, it's advisable to clone the hard drive so that if something goes wrong you're not up a creek without a paddle.

Best of luck.
John

P.S. In response to your PM, Cnet doesn't enable the editing of your own posts due to the potential for abuse of the feature. Sad

Collapse -
clone
by thebat1 / June 24, 2007 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch!

how do you clone the HD. And with what program would you use? Can I compress the clone? Other wise I probably dont have the room:-(.
But will wait for your reply.
Thanks so much

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?