HolidayBuyer's Guide

Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Participaction Floating Ad

by tobeach / April 7, 2010 5:03 PM PDT

is at this time, on my Mozilla Browser, floating over & obscuring various posts on each page in S,V& S Forum & some other forums.
Needs a tweak me thinks!! LOL! S Grin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Participaction Floating Ad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Participaction Floating Ad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Participation Floating Ad?
by John.Wilkinson / April 8, 2010 5:26 AM PDT

Are you referring to the feedback/survey floater that slides from left to right every now and then for the randomly-selected or a new Flash-based rollover advertisement?

Haven't seen it yet, but will certainly offer a block once I identify it.

John

Collapse -
Hi, John!!
by tobeach / April 8, 2010 2:32 PM PDT

This was the actual 2in x2inch actual Ad put out by Gov.Canada for their
get fit gig which has been called "Participaction" (SP?) for 30 years
ever since they started it with the fraudulent claim that that the average 80 year old Swede was in better shape than the average 40 year old Canadian.(!!)Later they were forced to admit that the Swede claim was fictitious and served up as propaganda.

It appeared as if the ad's location was about 2 inches lower than space it belonged in on the right side of the screen. I haven't been there yet tonight. Thanks for replying! Sandy Grin

Collapse -
Hi, John! It's still there
by tobeach / April 10, 2010 4:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi, John!!

tonight ...on several pages, on right side under "Ad Feedback". On One page it's below a similar sized Dell ad, on another including this post thread, it's by itself but still down from Ad Feedback by same distance as if the Dell was still above it. Sandy! Thanks gain! Grin

Collapse -
I Am Seeing that
by tobeach / April 15, 2010 3:33 PM PDT

ad tonight & now seems to be properly located in space for AD Feedback. It occurred to me that if users in US are not seeing it, possibly it's specific to urls or ISPs specific to Canada & only seen by those in Canada? Can't imagine Cdn Gov advertising that to US users!

NOTED: over the last 3 or 4 days, on several occasions, when going from 1 Cnet page or forum to another, suddenly get "can't find Cnet address" & often then get re-directed to Cnet Main Page or not!
as if Cnet was suddenly off the air. Happened tonight when I prepared
a reply to a poster & then clicked preview post. Of course when I used the "Back" button, the prepared reply had vanished. Is there repair work under way calling for main reboot of the site or forums there in?
Thanks! Sandy Happy

UPDATE: Some how, while replying to this post thread from with-in the Advanced search results, this post got substituted
into the reply area for the poster I described above; the post that vanished when the Cnet cannot be found message appeared! Muy weirdo! Confused

Collapse -
Still haven't seen it...
by John.Wilkinson / April 16, 2010 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: I Am Seeing that

Though you're probably right; Cnet does use targeted advertising, using page keywords and location, among other things, as a method to determine which ads to display. I'd take a road trip, but jumping on a Canadian proxy server might be faster. Happy

As to the page load issues, there have been an increase in Cnet 404s lately, and Thursday has been a day targeted for releasing major updates in the past. However, I don't have anything specific to add at this time.

Finally, regarding the disappearing post content, there are two possibilities. If you use the "Edit Post" button Cnet provides, it's Cnet's responsibility to send the content you've written thus far back to your browser. However, if you use your browser's Back button, it's up to your browser to retrieve the data you submitted from its own memory, something that unfortunately is not 100% reliable.

I'll post back if/when I see the ad.
John

Collapse -
Thanks For The Info, John!
by tobeach / April 18, 2010 2:37 PM PDT

Good to know that if something happens, is it Thursday?
Thanks for getting back to me! Sandy Grin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.