iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

Parrot MKi9200 reviews?- iPhone Car Integration

I was just wondering if anyone here had any input on this system- the Parrot MKi 9200. It seems like the savior for complete iPhone car integration, but the reviews are few and far between. Any input, good, bad or other, is appreciated!

Also, if you did purchase/install this product, where did you buy from, and where did you get it installed? I don't see any major retailers carrying it (yet), and would prefer it be installed by someone who has handled the item before.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Parrot MKi9200 reviews?- iPhone Car Integration
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Parrot MKi9200 reviews?- iPhone Car Integration
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Parrot MKi9200 reviews?- iPhone Car Integration

In reply to: Parrot MKi9200 reviews?- iPhone Car Integration

Bought one of these a couple of weeks ago from Halfords (in the UK), and had it fitted in store to the stereo already in the car - cheaper than fitting a new bluetooth head unit + CAN-BUS wiring. I'm not sure about it yet - it seems like a great solution, but the wireless remote seems to frequently have problems connecting to the display unit, leaving me without any control over its functions. Which is irritating to say the least. Not sure what is causing the problem so got to go back to Halfords to check. When it works it is great - has an ipod, an SD card AND a USB stick plugged in via the glovebox - you can select the source using the remote. Bluetooth phone connection is great and very simple - once set up you only need to activate BT on your phone and it automatically pairs. Not used an iPhone, but should be just the same. Mics and speaker system work well. My major reservation would be this problem connecting the remote - I don't know if this is a common issue or an installation problem.

C

Collapse -
Parrot MKI9200

I bought one and it's the biggest piece of junk ever. It jams consistently then will not work (black screen) After it is rebooted it works for a short time and then the audio fails, it looks like it is playing the music but no sound. This thing is utter crap.

Collapse -
parrot mki 9200

I am an installer in Nashville, TN. I just bought one and installed it in my vehicle after updating the software. I love it. It sounds great and plays the slacker and pandora radio from my Blackberry perfectly. Every once in a while the ipod connection has a bug, but now a big deal. What does not have bugs these days. I drive a lot and I adore the product and love the steering wheel remote. I had a ck3100 before this one and was always reaching the the buttons, but not anymore. Oh and I have never used voice activation because it sucks, until now. I have yet to call someone via voice activation and it not work! It works flawlessly! The text to speech is awesome. I do not use the products amp for audio. I use the line out into my line input for the audio and is sounds great. I can barely tell the difference between listening to it via ipod, usb, bluetooth and a cd. Love, love it.

Collapse -
Pandora

In reply to: parrot mki 9200

While I have had nothing but trouble with my 9200, I have replaced the brain unit 3 times, I am interested in the comment about Pandora. When I got the Parrot, I was excited about the prospect of listening to Pandora on my Parrot. I couldn't seem to get it to work and the tech guys from Pandora told me that they were not broadcasting with a blue tooth signal. I am curious if the poster who was able to use Pandora was able to use by doing a line in or if something has changed in regards to the Pandora broadcast in bluetooth.

Collapse -
Nashville, TN??? spkrpro

spkrpro,

I am also in Nashville and looking to consult with an installer in my area before purchasing this unit. Can you provide me with some additional contact info? I can be reached directly at eriklevin@gmail.com

Thanks!

Collapse -
parrot mki 9200 I am an installer . . .

I purchased the MK i9200 from Crutchfield and made arrangements to have it installed in my wife's 2005 Chrysler Sebring convertible as a gift for Christmas. She had performed a great deal of research on various products and came away with the MK i9200 as a solution she has had with a host of other bluetooth products and the lack of quality of reception at the receiving end of her conversations which is sometimes critical in her line of work. I took this unit to a local company here in Nashville that I have spoken with previously and assured me that they could install the product. Unfortunately, their installation price was reasonable, but I did not feel comfortable leaving this unit for their installation after speaking with the tech that was going to do the work and his "shock" that this unit had two (2) pick up microphones; "never did one of those before" he said. Decided then that I should continue my search for a qualified installer. Can you recommend one?

Collapse -
Parrot 9200 review

Collapse -
Parrot MKi9200 and i phone

I bought mine from Halfords but installed myself, simple with the DIN plugs. At first it was terrible, kept on freezing and it needed re-booting then the phone would need a re-boot. After Apples latest up date 3.0 for i phone it works through bluetooth. Only problem on bluetooth you do not get the album art work, but other than that it's brilliant

Collapse -
Thinking of buying it...

Hi - I am thinking of buying a Parrot MKi9200. I have an iPhone 3GS. In case it matters, I am in London in the UK.

Following this thread, I have a few questions to see if someone can help me to decide.

1. I read that some problems were solved with updating iPhone software to 3.0. Anyone has had any problems with iPhone software version 3.x?

2. Also, it seems I have to connect my iPhone using the cable (as opposed to a BlueTooth A2DP slot). Will this charge my iPhone too?

3. Has anyone bought a A2DP slot for iPhone/iPod and use it instead of the cable? if so, feedback please?

4. Reviews are a bit mixed, but I do cannot find any alternative to this product (IO Play, but I have a Peugeot-JBL 8 speaker + subwoofer system in my car, and so IO Play is not good enough). Anyone knows of any alternative?

5. I am thinking of getting it installed in Quantum Car Customs http://www.quantumcarcustoms.co.uk/ for

Collapse -
parrot bad idea

a friend of mine had this system dont get me wrong it looks good but it destroyed his factory stereo system you should probably try the EGO PREMIUM it has more features consider it a parrot plus and it has special features for your apple products my favorite is that it reads text messages and you can speak and it texts it for you

Collapse -
The most unstable thing I ever had

I used to have Parrots in my cars and so I bought the MKi9200 as their top of the line.
It is great!;(

1) It goes on when you start your car!
Well, sometimes it does not... half of the times actually.

2) It shows you the names of the songs!
Great, but you can't read them on the imbecile built-in wallpapers. And the song-artist roll over and over the screen which is very distracting while driving. (Attempt to replace the wallpapers wasn't rewarded...)

3) You can choose a song!
Well, it takes three times the effort and attention than doing it on the iPhone directly which you can't when wired to Parrot... The user interface logic is crap. I rather use bluetooth.

4) You can listen to your music!
Well, there are clitches and scratches in the sound, sometimes only when BT connected sometimes also when wired... Some issues with the iPod's equalizer I assume. Not mentioning you need a special muting accessory for Bose audio systems that compromises if not distorts the sound.

5) You can use sound effects!
Joke... never heard something so terribly implemented (since Windows Media Player fx:).

6) And yes, you can call!
The remote-brain communication is not on the speedy side however, accepting a call does not have to be a success... Sometimes the thing doesn't react at all.
After all, the mic is very good so they hear me fine. If connected.

What a mistake - this is the least stable piece of electronics I use today. Hey Parrot, we enjoy Apple products these days, we got spoiled by things we can really use, control and understand. Wake up! It's 2010...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.