Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Paris OUT?.......Partry ON!!!!!!

by JP Bill / June 6, 2007 11:45 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Paris OUT?.......Partry ON!!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Paris OUT?.......Partry ON!!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Party not Partry
by JP Bill / June 6, 2007 11:50 PM PDT

Note to self

Gotta' stop using this screen resolution 1024 * 768

Collapse -
I was checking out the vision center at Sam's Club
by grimgraphix / June 6, 2007 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Party not Partry

... and they offer an intermediate set of glasses... not reading glasses nor regular long/short distance prescriptions... that are designed for computer users who sit further away from a computer screen than the normal distance one uses to read a book. Since I got prespeopia a couple years ago (for my Birth Day... yay!) this sounds like something I might want.

grim

Collapse -
I have glasses
by JP Bill / June 7, 2007 12:05 AM PDT

Progressive lenses, but I only use them when reading.

Which defeats the purpose of progressive.

I changed the screen resolution to "try" and get accustomed but I failed to change the text size.

IF I did that that would help.

Too busy doing nothing to go to see the "eye" man for new glasses

Wink

Collapse -
partry
by James Denison / June 8, 2007 9:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Party not Partry

"....and a partry in a pearis tree...."

Collapse -
(NT) The California Justice System... Wow!
by grimgraphix / June 6, 2007 11:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
Why should we care?
by EdH / June 7, 2007 12:48 AM PDT

There's nothing else of any importance going on in the world?

I can't believe how much ink and airtime has been wasted on this "story".

Collapse -
(NT) And now we've wasted a bit more ;)
by JP Bill / June 7, 2007 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Why should we care?
Collapse -
I think it's called
by Glenda / June 7, 2007 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Medical reasons?

The DT's Devil

Collapse -
Yes. She held her breath until she turned blue.
by Kiddpeat / June 7, 2007 12:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Medical reasons?

I'm sure she's used it many times in the past.

Collapse -
There is a movie where she holds her breath while she...
by grimgraphix / June 7, 2007 12:32 PM PDT

... well... let's just say she's been in some movies.

Devil

grim

Collapse -
A lesson among the humorous posts:
by drpruner / June 7, 2007 4:09 AM PDT

About 50 miles S of here is the town of San Antonio, NM. Has one traffic light: Blinks yellow E-W and red for N-S. The Hwy heads E to Billy the Kid country.
A century or so ago a man owned a stage stop there to feed and house travelers in the usual way. What we now call the hospitality business. His kid, Conrad Hilton, learned the art of pleasing customers well enough to make a success of it on his own. (I still remember the big news in Detroit when the Hiltons bought out the Statlers.) Good work ethic and business practices.
Later Conrad went as Hollywood as one could in those days. Married trophy wives, gave his son Nicky a zillion-dollar wedding to Elizabeth Taylor on the roof of the Hilton in Long Beach, CA. Nicky, I'm told, never folded down a sheet in his life; don't know that his kids (by other women) did either.

As the twig is bent ...

Collapse -
Someone said
by PudgyOne / June 7, 2007 5:07 AM PDT

That Paris found this out about prison

"It ain't no Hilton Inn"

Rick

Collapse -
Not so fast....
by C1ay / June 7, 2007 12:20 PM PDT

The judge that sent her there has set a 9 A.M. court date for her to see if she should be sent back. There is also a question about the possibility of the sheriff that released her being in contempt of court...

Story at Breitbart....

Collapse -
An early video feed on the BBC said a psychiatrist ...
by grimgraphix / June 7, 2007 12:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Not so fast....

... indeed, her psychiatrist, was the physician that was consulted when medical advice was sought.

A later report I saw said that she was released to home confinement because the medical concern was she is refusing to eat most of the prison food given to her.

Last time I heard, prisoners and some models were known to go on fasts occasionally. If going on a fast gets you out of jail and electronic ankle bracelet I see a lot more prisoners going on diets real soon.

Collapse -
IMO...
by C1ay / June 7, 2007 8:42 PM PDT

If Martha Stewart can do the time then so can Paris....

Collapse -
Apples and oranges C1ay.
by grimgraphix / June 7, 2007 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: IMO...

Martha knows how to make a shiv from a decorative table center piece, create a piquant toilet wine with scraps from the mess hall, and conduct an entertaining evening of dice games with dice hand made from molded bread and marked with home made ink.

Paris? Not so much.

Martha would definitely take Paris in a prison yard fight.

Wink

grim

Collapse -
That sounds like a good line up for...
by C1ay / June 7, 2007 9:59 PM PDT

a pay-per-view event. Happy

Collapse -
Frankly, I think that house arrest is the right punishment
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / June 8, 2007 1:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Not so fast....

for the crime of driving on a suspended license and thereby violating her parole on what I believe was her first DUI. No one died or was injured, after all (but only by the grace of God), so it really was a victimless crime. It could just as easily be argued that she did indeed get "special treatment" -- that the Judge's specific prohibitions were in fact prejudicial treatment trying to "make an example" of her because of her celebrity. Furthermore, why should the taxpayer's have to pay for forty days' and forty nights' room and board (though apparently she doesn't find the food much more appealing than locusts and honey...)

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
No special treatment

I agree Dave, she shouldn't be treated any differently than someone else in similar circumstances. Celebrity status shouldn't let you get by with more, nor place one in danger of being some over zealous judge's chance to "make an example" of them. She's not an example in her life, she shouldn't be one in the justice system either. The bigger story here is the lack of coordination between the judiciary and the penal system. It's also the exposure of how various government agencies can often be in conflict on the same matters, even at local city level, not just state or federal government agencies. From everything I'm hearing, and a lot from conservative FOX news, it seems Paris served the standard amount of time anyone else would for same charges. Remember, the Sheriff has a duty if he's in charge of local penal system too, to insure the worst offenders serve out as much time as the prison can afford to keep them, and to release those for lesser offenses ahead of the worst offenders. Unfortunately it makes the system dependent less on sentencing and more on prison space, but maybe it's time they wised up and quit sending so many to jail for more than a few days on minor infractions, if at all. The Sheriff can only incarcerate to the extent he has space and after that he's no choice but to clear out some to make way for others coming into the system. Whether one is obstinate, snobby, precocious or instead a sniveling butt kissing whiner, it shouldn't make a bit of difference in the sentencing. They shouldn't be sentenced on attitude, but on what they did and that should be comparative to other sentencing for the same offense. I can't stand the impudent little ****, but the system there has screwed up on this one and shouldn't have hauled her back to prison once they'd placed her under house arrest for the remainder. If there was a mistake, it wasn't hers, but unless there's a clear need to protect the public from such individual then the state should accept the responsibility and work to correct THEIR deficiency. Too bad we can't give a Sheriff a ticket for failure to perform his duty and the judge a ticket for failure to follow sentencing guidelines in a fair and non discriminatory manner.

I'll be so glad when she's out of the headlines again. It seems to take up so much press time lately for something that is so mundane otherwise. Maybe we all enjoy the distractions from the more important matters in life too much?

Collapse -
But she violated her probation not just once...
by grimgraphix / June 9, 2007 12:41 AM PDT

... but, I believe it was, three times. Now if this was just misplaced paper work that wasn't properly filed I might agree that the issue was overblown but she was pulled over by the police repeatedly. Now if I was stopped by police several times for the same reason (driving on a suspended license), it would eventually get through my mind that maybe I needed to hire a driver. She apparently made no effort at all to determine what she needed to do to quit getting in trouble with the law. I do believe she deserved jail time for that kind of behavior.

What I have to disagree with here is how the judge effectively doubled her sentence from the agreed upon 23 days. She has no control (ultimately) of how the LA sheriff decides to run his jail (despite the fact the judge said repeatedly... "NO HOUSE ARREST"). However, if it does come out that some undue manipulation of the system occurred by county officials in cahoots with Hilton's lawyers then I think further investigation should take place.

One aside. If her release was due to "mental stress" and an inability to eat jail food I would expect the "Paris defense" or maneuver or what ever one might call it might become a common ploy by future inmates. After all, if it worked for her... Wink

grim "I still think Martha could take Paris in a knife fight" graphix

Collapse -
LA Times analysis shows Paris got "special" treatment
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / June 15, 2007 12:22 AM PDT
Paris Hilton's sentence way out whack with what others got for same crime.

>> The Times analyzed 2 million jail releases and found 1,500 cases since July 2002 that ? like Hilton's ? involved defendants who had been arrested for drunk driving and later sentenced to jail after a probation violation or driving without a license.

Had Hilton left jail for good after four days, her stint behind bars would have been similar to those served by 60% of those inmates.

But after a judge sent her back to jail Friday, Hilton's attorney announced that she would serve the full 23 days. That means that Hilton will end up serving more time than 80% of other people in similar situations. <<

As with the immigration issue, the public's "get tough" stance against those p[erceived to be getting "special favors" isn't borne out by the facts.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Collapse -
(NT) on way back to jail
by geoef / June 8, 2007 5:16 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.