Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Pardongate

by C1ay / December 13, 2004 10:03 PM PST

Let's not forget what a fine job (choke, cough) Clinton did on the way out the door.

U.N. Oil for Food Scandal: The Marc Rich Connection

To say that just before Bill Clinton left office in January 2001 he exercised his privilege of granting presidential pardons is something of an understatement. With 176 criminals given pardons and commuted sentences in a single day, one might envision an ?exercise? as frenetic as Richard Simmons on crack cocaine and Jolt Cola...

Somewhere in the horde of Clinton pardon recipients was financier Marc Rich. In 1983, Rich was indicted on evading more than $48 million in taxes. He was also charged with 51 counts of tax fraud, tax evasion, wire fraud, racketeering, and making illegal oil deals with Iran during the 1979 hostage crisis. Rich suffered terribly for his crimes?if you call living well on one?s ill-gotten gains in Switzerland while fighting extradition proceedings ?suffering.? Denise Rich, now his ex-wife, donated an estimated $1 million to Democrat causes, including $70,000 to Hillary Clinton?s Senate campaign and $450,000 to the Clinton Presidential Library fund. Denise Rich was called to testify before Congress as to whether her donations and contributions were in fact payment for her husband?s pardon. She pleaded the Fifth Amendment...

More...

Oh, the legacy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pardongate
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pardongate
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hey! You've got to pay for the library.
by Kiddpeat / December 13, 2004 10:18 PM PST
In reply to: Pardongate

The part I liked was stripping furniture and dishes out of the White House and Air Force One. I thought I was watching the Beverly Hillbillies.

Collapse -
As if the Bushies would have sat on the furniture
by crowsfoot / December 14, 2004 12:31 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That cover pretty much sums up the Clinton Presidency
by EdH / December 14, 2004 6:01 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: Pardongate
by MKay / December 13, 2004 11:12 PM PST

Clay,Like his actions were unique to him or his party!!!!!!!!! Let's move on. Time to start arguing about who will be running in'08 and tearing them down and apart. Happy

Collapse -
Re: Pardongate
by C1ay / December 13, 2004 11:19 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Pardongate

I was just highlighting his contribution to the Oil-For-Food scandal which is a current event IIRC...

Collapse -
The analogy provided
by MarciaB / December 13, 2004 11:27 PM PST

using Richard Simmons:
"...one might envision an ?exercise? as frenetic as Richard Simmons on crack cocaine and Jolt Cola..."

'bout made me spit my coffee on my KB!! LOL

Grin

Collapse -
I may be a left wing Democrat but all this sticks in MY craw
by Ziks511 / December 14, 2004 7:56 AM PST

Rob B

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The conservatives didn't appreciate it much either.
by Kiddpeat / December 14, 2004 12:55 PM PST
Collapse -
Instead of paranoia the new disease
by gearup / December 14, 2004 9:40 PM PST

is called Clintonoia. The compulsive ideologues in here cant help themselves so it must be a disease they suffer from...or is it sleight of hand to make others look the other way while their favorite political hack stuffs other pockets!

I suppose saying "get real" will have less effect than a maintenance dose of Thorazine (good old days)! Clinton was a bum in many ways. So was Richard Nixon. And Bush? The less said the better!

Collapse -
Well your insinuations aside ...
by Evie / December 14, 2004 11:41 PM PST

... I doubt highly that many (if anyone) people think Clinton knew of the alleged Rich involvment in the OFF scandal when he pardoned him. But don't you think that given the amount of money he and Hillary have amassed from books and speeches, he ought to return the Library contributions to reinstate the appearance of propriety? Especially if it now comes to light that Rich money was obtained at the expense of the Iraqi people?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Bill and Hillary give money back!? Snowball's chance in
by Kiddpeat / December 15, 2004 12:36 AM PST
Collapse -
One thing Bush would never in a million years do
by Dragon / December 15, 2004 12:21 AM PST

Is pardon a number of FALN terrorists. Jimmy Carter was just as bad -- he not only pardoned the guy who shot up Congress and tried to assasinate Truman, he sent a letter asking Clinton to pardon these FALN bombers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?