Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Parasite 169.254.30.99

by murrayg / June 3, 2004 12:44 AM PDT

Does ANY ONE have suggestions on removing this entity.
Tried: Spybot, AntiVir XP and CWshredder to NO avail.
Tried going thru regedit and searched for the entries-found them-deleted them-rebooted the system and ran ipcongig/all and the d--- thing was back.
Is there anything else I can do short of reformating the whole system?
Help is always most appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Parasite 169.254.30.99
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Parasite 169.254.30.99
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Parasite 169.254.30.99
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Parasite 169.254.30.99

Actually, that looks like the SELF ASSIGNED IP ADDRESS that Windows hands itself when the DHCP fails. It's not a parasite.

If you have an unused ethernet port, I'd expect this.

Bur your post is too light on details so tell more.

Light reading about this APIPA function -> http://www.win2000mag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=7464

Collapse -
Re:Re:Parasite 169.254.30.99
by murrayg / June 3, 2004 2:15 AM PDT

Randy:
Eight days ago two redirect entities showed up on my desktop.
Since that time I have been unable to get onto the net.
Over 10hrs have been spent talking with the Bellsouthfastaccess techs with no results. The only suggestion was to install another ethernet card and see if it works. NOPE.
Last night I had a 3 hr conversation with a workstation tech from compaq who assures me that the "hardware is fine" but this 169....is the culprit.
The two redo\irect entities were "Shopathome..." and "sidesearch...".
Installing and reinstalling the net cards no help.
pinging my westell modem gets no results (4 packets sent and all lost).
Doing ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew gets no results.
As I mentioned-in last ditch effort the compaq thech and I attempted to remove this from the regedit function-but it keeps coming back.
No matter what I do when I launch IE I get the message "can't open thepage".
The seconf net prt was installed AFTER this problem occured.
Let me know what other info you need. I'm at whits end.
Thanks

Collapse -
Frankly 169.254.30.99 is a valid APIPA address.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 2:28 AM PDT

BUT if I couple this correct functioning of APIPA self assigning addresses to your real issue you noted as...

"The two redo\irect entities were "Shopathome..." and "sidesearch...".
Installing and reinstalling the net cards no help.
pinging my westell modem gets no results (4 packets sent and all lost).
Doing ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew gets no results."

Then I begin to think you had a PARASITE (read http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/ ) that has corrupted the LAYERED SERVICE PROVIDER. Since most will not want to fix such manually and I agree that's far too much work, I offer LSPFIX from http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm which fits on a diskette and has instructions (which I will not duplicate here) on its use.

In recap, the IP 169.254.30.99 is proper if the LSP is damage, the ethernet cable is unplugged or your ISP software is incorrect in some way. It is not the "pest."

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Frankly 169.254.30.99 is a valid APIPA address.
by murrayg / June 3, 2004 4:09 AM PDT

Thank-you very much for the help
I'lldownload the "fix" and give it a try.
I'll let you know tommorrow.

Collapse -
Re:Frankly 169.254.30.99 is a valid APIPA address.
by murrayg / June 3, 2004 11:32 PM PDT

It didn't work.
I did however find,accidentally, a sectiom in the control panel which has the sytems log. I went back to the day and time of when the system went bad and have 3 pgs of info. I can fax or email this to you for closer inspection.
Thankfully, being a doctor is easier than fixing a computer glitch

Collapse -
Re: Parasite 169.254.30.99
by ereedks / June 11, 2004 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Parasite 169.254.30.99

I wonder, did it change your IP address? All IP addresses beginning with 169 are private IP addresses only. If you configure a NIC to use this IP, you will not be able to access the internet. Companies use this range of addresses if they want computers to access each other, servers, etc but not access the internet.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!