Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Paramount cuts ties with Tom Cruise: WSJ

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures unit is ending its 14-year relationship with Tom Cruise's film production company because of the actor's offscreen behavior, the company's chairman said in an interview with the Wall Street Journal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sumner Redstone, Viacom chairman, said the behavior of the star of the "Mission: Impossible" series and "Top Gun" was unacceptable to the company, according to the Wall Street Journal story e-mailed to reporters.

Cruise, one of Hollywood's biggest stars, has been known more recently for his antics on U.S. television talk shows, including jumping up and down on Oprah Winfrey's couch to declare his love for Katie Holmes and criticizing the use of antidepressant drugs.

"As much as we like him personally, we thought it was wrong to renew his deal," Redstone was quoted as saying in the Wall Street Journal. "His recent conduct has not been acceptable to Paramount."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060822/people_nm/media_cruise_dc_1

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Paramount cuts ties with Tom Cruise: WSJ
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Paramount cuts ties with Tom Cruise: WSJ
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have to wonder...

In reply to: Paramount cuts ties with Tom Cruise: WSJ

... if this is a domino effect from Mel Gibson's public embarrassment. Has the movie industry finally started to worry about how the US public may view them?

grim

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i would hope so

In reply to: I have to wonder...

Collapse -
Grim, I have to wonder if they'd have done the same...

had MI3 done the same sort of box office business as numbers 1 and 2!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Hmmmmm, maybe the public is turned off eh?

In reply to: Grim, I have to wonder if they'd have done the same...

Maybe they want to send a message to others who think they are too big to fail. They could also be tired of risking big investments on a looney.

Collapse -
I suspect not.

In reply to: Grim, I have to wonder if they'd have done the same...

Wink

A money maker can be forgiven their peccadilloes in the eyes of their employers.

Still... Tom's been carrying on for quite a while. I think Mel's behavior and the accompanying backlash makes the studio heads all over La La Land a bit more sensitive to public appearance. That... and maybe Tom's production company maybe promoting nothing but crap. After all... he may be pushing for the sequel to John Travolta's Scientology epic.

Can you imagine BATTLE FIELD EARTH 2 : THE SEARCH FOR SURI?

Grin
grim
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Now, if Mr. Redstone should suddenly disappear ...

In reply to: I suspect not.

Collapse -
That's like comparing a hurricane with a balmy breeze.

There is no comparison.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Bottom line...Tom Cruise is a friggin FREAK!!!

In reply to: That's like comparing a hurricane with a balmy breeze.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I have to wonder what Mel Gibson has to do with this

Collapse -
Nothing whatsoever. Rare overindulgence accompanied by angry

In reply to: (NT) I have to wonder what Mel Gibson has to do with this

outbursts have never, to my knowledge, damaged a career. There may be, however, a desire to lump those who have exhibited personal values with the looney, unrefective types.

Collapse -
I wonder...

How does one go about convincing a scientologist, whom disbelieves in psychiatry, that they need to see a psychiatrist?

Collapse -
In computer processing, it's called a deadly embrace.

In reply to: I wonder...

Things tend to freeze or self destruct at that point.

Collapse -
OMG!! Look at this Awsome creepy picture of Tom Cruise !!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.