TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

PANY TH-50PZ700U Reviews, Consumer Reports vs CNET

by nofieldfive_billy / December 16, 2007 12:36 AM PST

MY QUESTION IS WHY DOES CONSUMER REPORTS RATE THIS PANASONIC THE BEST PLASMA TV THEY HAVE EVER REVIEWED AND CNET RATES IT MUCH LOWER THAN THE PIONEER 5080. CONSUMER REPORTS HAS THE PIONEER MUCH LOWER THAN THE PIONEER 5080. WHO IS RIGHT? I WAS ALL READY TO BUY THE PIONEER 5080 UNTIL I SUBSCRIBED TO CONSUMER REPORTS ONLINE AND READ THIER REVIEWS ON PLASMA TV'S. I ALSO DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THE PANY 58" GETS A WORSE REVIEW THAN THE 50" WHEN THEY HAVE THE SAME MODEL NUMBER AND OWNERS MANUAL. I THINK THAT THE ENGINES ARE THE SAME. PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PANY TH-50PZ700U Reviews, Consumer Reports vs CNET
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PANY TH-50PZ700U Reviews, Consumer Reports vs CNET
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Consumer Reports criteria - long an issue
by NM_Bill / December 16, 2007 1:51 AM PST

Like many I have spent years checking to see what CR has to say about a potential purchase. Of course they are most famous for their car reviews. A lackluster review from them means real sales damage to products.

Over time they have unfortunately become less forthcoming as to exactly their criteria are, often not commenting on it at all, which is infuriating. Remember, in cars for instance, a coupe iss always one point less than a sedan as CR reviews in regards to total suitability as a family car. So two doors is always inferior to four doors. It is legitimate for someone to just want the sportier version.

I don't have the hardcopy of their TV issue in front of me right now, so read very carefully for any & all words that reveal their choice of criteria is. It amounts to a bias that may not coincide with yours.

So like any source, I regard their word at arms length.

Collapse -
For your eyes only
by dinox64 / December 16, 2007 2:59 AM PST

These types of outlets,Cnet and CR are great for guidance and narrowing our search for the best products on the current market. But when it comes right down to it personal suitability,it's at the hands of the actual purchaser.Just like the coupe instaed of the sedan.

Collapse -
CR does not say why?
by gabereyes / December 16, 2007 3:36 PM PST

it shows the panasonic being better at DVD picture quality and HD picture quality. why I dont know?

Buy I have a good guess, Cnet rating or usually more accurate, they judge picture quality in this order.
contrast
color saturation
color accuracy
and resolution
and most profesional ISF and AV mags use this to rate there TVs also.

I think CR is putting resolution first on there list, Ive also been looking at both TV's and from a distance of about 6 feet or closer the panasonic is sharper do to higher res, but I still like the pioneer do to it perfect black level and colors.

To me black level and color accuracy is everthing, it make the picture pop more and have more depth and it looks more realistic.

I dont care to much for CR, some of the ratings dont apply to everyone and everything, like the TV menu, remote control, and price.
for me I use a harmony remote, and only use the menu once or twice, and not everyone has the same budget.

hope this helps
good luck
gabe

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.